International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Mic for podcast 18" out of frame?

Threaded View

Mic for podcast 18" out of frame?

Hello All,

First post here at IAIB. I am planning do an running series of 5-12 minute video podcasts for my business. I have a C920 Pro webcam that works fine (with access to a better camera if needed), a homemade teleprompter, some softboxes, Shure 57 and 58 mics and an assortment boom stands and cords leftover from my fading musical ambitions.

I also got an ATR2100 mic to be compatible with the USB-based C920 webcam. It worked -- but the native Windows 7 drivers couldn't get the volume up to a useable level unless the mic was in my mouth. I'd like it to be out of frame. What I have on order to finish the mini-studio is an ATR-3350 lav mic and a Scarlett 2i2 interface so I can have a little more control over the input level.

I'm still thinking about an intermediate-grade hypercardioid or shotgun mic that can be boomed over me while I'm sitting at a desk. Pretty quiet indoor environment. The AT875r or one of the Rode on-camera mini shotguns kept coming up but I'm open. $100 to $200 is the budget. I've scoured the web but haven't really found a conversation where someone says if you want to keep the mic out of a medium-shot, get one of "these".

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The lav will get here next week. I'll see how that goes and get back to this thread with results.

Thanks, sh
    Last edited by luthierwnc; 10-18-2014 at 10:14 AM.