International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Hello all, newb with some questions

Cool Hello all, newb with some questions

Decided on giving online talk show a try through a podcasting-like environment. I plan to do the shows, edit them through Audacity and then upload to youtube and go from there. I've run websites, blogs and message forums for many many years now so I know my way around social media optimization, SEO and marketing the show.

My questions are...

1. What can I do (preferably free) for inviting my co-host to do a show with me. I am in IL, he is in KY... How can we both talk on the same time for the show?

2. Occasionally I want to do a live show, I've considered using Youtube's live streaming feature - how do you all feel about that?

3. What about call ins for live shows? How can I enable listeners to call in?

A bit about the show without giving too much away as its not launched yet... we are going to be talking about "strange" subjects or alternative topics like paranormal, conspiracy, unexplained subjects, etc. I plan to have 2-4 hour shows, probably once a week starting out. It will be a majority of talk between myself and my friend but occasionally would like to have guests join in so 3-way convo shows would be a good question as well. I plan to do commercial-breaks using music I found online that only requires crediting the author - indie stuff.

Any tips are more than welcome to be suggested

Thanks for having me on the forum! I searched and search for a good forum in this niche and this one seems to be the best - so I would do try to become an active contributor here
    Online show coming soon!

IAIB Broadcaster
    You can take calls with your cell phone and your audio mixer. Primitive, but effective. Here's how I do it. Starts at about 13:50.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Joesph View Post
    Decided on giving online talk show a try through a podcasting-like environment. I plan to do the shows, edit them through Audacity and then upload to youtube and go from there. I've run websites, blogs and message forums for many many years now so I know my way around social media optimization, SEO and marketing the show.

My questions are...

1. What can I do (preferably free) for inviting my co-host to do a show with me. I am in IL, he is in KY... How can we both talk on the same time for the show?
    I would suggest using Skype for your cohosts. its the simplest way to get a cohost on the show. if you are experiencing issues with Skype try google hangouts. the audio quality wont be as good but its a good alternative.

2. Occasionally I want to do a live show, I've considered using Youtube's live streaming feature - how do you all feel about that?
    Im not a big fan of youtube live. Check out Vaughn live, Streamup and Ustream as options.

3. What about call ins for live shows? How can I enable listeners to call in?
    Blog talk radio is really the best option to take phone calls like a "radio show". The quality is ok. Not as good as what you would get from a pots line. I would never use a cell phone for taking phone calls on a show.

A bit about the show without giving too much away as its not launched yet... we are going to be talking about "strange" subjects or alternative topics like paranormal, conspiracy, unexplained subjects, etc. I plan to have 2-4 hour shows, probably once a week starting out. It will be a majority of talk between myself and my friend but occasionally would like to have guests join in so 3-way convo shows would be a good question as well. I plan to do commercial-breaks using music I found online that only requires crediting the author - indie stuff.

Any tips are more than welcome to be suggested

Thanks for having me on the forum! I searched and search for a good forum in this niche and this one seems to be the best - so I would do try to become an active contributor here

IAIB Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    I would never use a cell phone for taking phone calls on a show.
    It is true. Andrew's standards are higher than mine.

You can get a standard phone number for Skype and have listeners make phone calls to that. It does cost $5/mo for a 12 month subscription. Not sure how it would all handle if you and your cohost are on Video Skype.