International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Has Twitter Grown Your Podcast

Has Twitter Grown Your Podcast

I am starting to grow my twitter and was wondering if anyone has truely / honestly seen growth to their audience due to twitter? How have you been able to grow your audience with social media? Any advice would be great.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    What is there besides Twitter and Facebook? Those seem to be the social media resources that work best.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I guess you can also grow your following on Google+ I jsut dont really use it

Rob Walch from Libsyn has some stats in Podertainment Magazine that show that big on twitter does not equal big on podcasting. I think it depends on your audience. What if your audience aren't twitter users? He has a similar post at
    http://podcast411.libsyn.com/twitter...ast-listeners-
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

I'm not sure if it contributes to growth, but we've definitely got a lot of interaction with our audience on Twitter. The day after a show drops my phone is going crazy with notifications.

We are very active on Twitter and do most of our promotion there. We run a blog, along with our podcast. From our stats, most of the visitors to our podcast and blog come from Twitter. Twitter allow us to directly interact and engage with our fans as well as find new guests for our show and connect with other podcasters. It's a great tool if you know how to use it. Many of our interviewees have a good following on Twitter so when they tweet or retweet us, our listens go up and we get new followers from there. Like yakk0dotorg above, every time a new episode drops, our phone goes nuts with notifications as people engage and react to our tweets.

Whether Twitter would work for you would depend on your audience (and guests), how active you are on Twitter and how willing you are to engage with not just your followers but other people you are following aka other podcasters. We took a long time to build up our Twitter base but it is all worth it as it is paying off for us now.

Quote Originally Posted by podcastcoach View Post
    Rob Walch from Libsyn has some stats in Podertainment Magazine that show that big on twitter does not equal big on podcasting. I think it depends on your audience. What if your audience aren't twitter users? He has a similar post at
    http://podcast411.libsyn.com/twitter...ast-listeners-
    Dave I agree with you 100%. Big numbers really dont mean much. It comes down to user engagement. Do your followers care about your show? Thats the question we should be asking. Also how can you find new followers that would be interested in your podcast?
    The best thing you can do is follow hastags. find people with the same interests as your podcast / engage with followers of other podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    Dave I agree with you 100%. Big numbers really dont mean much. It comes down to user engagement. Do your followers care about your show? Thats the question we should be asking. Also how can you find new followers that would be interested in your podcast?
    The best thing you can do is follow hastags. find people with the same interests as your podcast / engage with followers of other podcasts.
    Someone on here had suggested that we try to follow other podcasters followers. Has anyone had any success with doing that? I have yet to try it but it seems like it can help with finding a new group of followers who have the same interests

In my experience, Twitter is a great tool to interact with your audience, particularly if you broadcast live, but it isn't much of a game changer when it comes to discovery. I still see discovery as being possibly the largest hurdle to growing an audience for a show. The major platforms (iTunes, Stitcher, TuneIn, etc....) are still largely flattered and heavily neglected in iTunes' case.

Twitter can also be great if the content you create lends it self to being heavily shared, this can be tough to pull off regularly, but can yield results. Otherwise I've found Facebook to more effective in terms of audience growth. Content tends to live longer than Twitter by nature of the platform and it's obviously a slightly more accessible platform for threaded conversations.

Twitter is also helpful when establishing a voice. Engaging with other voices/experts in your niche and contributing to larger conversations on the subject matter can certainly elevate your voice, gain followers and potentially have a residual effect on your listenership.

I've always looked at building an audience around a show as building a community. Podcast listeners are obviously very different to terrestrial radio listeners because they have to seek out the content each day, week, etc... instead of passively channel surfing.

It's extra work but a multi-facated approach, engaging your audience on Facebook, Twitter & to a lesser extent Google + will likely yield the best results. Twitter can be great but it definitely isn't a silver bullet, Twitters followers ≠ Podcast listeners in any direct way, IMO, of course.

IAIB Broadcaster
    Twitter has been great as a "Keep 'em in the Loop" system for our followers, but I really never expected it to draw new users.

What has been ENORMOUSLY EFFECTIVE is YouTube. I have posted shows on YouTube since starting in July 2012. I continue to get YT comments and email inquiries from even early shows. I've watched my YT views go from Zero to over 100,000, averaging now about 8k monthly. Some of those viewers become subscribers, and sometimes viewers of my live weekly shows.

For me, YT draws a wider "drive-by" audience than any other method or medium.