International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Youtube Live : Will they take over Live streaming?

IAIB Broadcaster
    Ustream is making a big play over here in Asia. They have invested heavily in Japan and Korea, and have partnered with a lot of local companies. YouTube will be hard to beat once they turn on the Live feature. I hope multiple players can exist, to keep all innovating.

I have a feeling Google will try allow Google+ hangouts to stream live to YouTube first to help boost the service. Lots of experimenting going on with G+ Hangouts.

Interesting you say that eric. I just discovered this :

Google Hangouts On Air

I think there's a lot that can go wrong with YouTube.
    Often, when it comes to marketing and completing a "call to action" user engagement is more important than raw viewership. YouTube has developed a fair number of ways to engage for their VOD stuff, likes, sharing, comments, liking comments, video responses.

With live streaming the engagement has to be close to real time. That means chat rooms for example. I'm not sure they're there with that yet. Without that, you move towards a passive medium like TV (only on the internet). Given that they're only using select partners who may have a good history with VOD but may have little experience with live, it remains to be seen what kind of content will develop.

Of course Google has the resources to get it right eventually but if you think back to the "early days" of YouTube, they weren't a stellar example of VOD content or technical quality either.

The business models used by Livestream and Ustream and the like are very different. Sure there's the free ad insertion based content but that's not where their money is made. As someone from Livestream said to me a while back (paraphrasing), "We can drop all our free content and it wouldn't hurt us financially." Their money is primarily coming from their paid services. Sometimes having the largest market share on the free side isn't the most profitable thing.

Basically Google (YouTube) is a company based on an advertising model. Livestream and Ustream are based on a services model. The ad based business models are still in a state of flux. From everything I've heard the rates on online advertising are not as profitable as cable or even print advertising (and this is a major dilemma for the print industry as it moves to online distribution).

If I were a business, while I might be attracted to the viewer numbers and cost but I'm not sure if it would give me the best sell through. It's probably for similar reasons that while YouTube exists there are still OVP (Online Video Providers) with paid services that business turn to and the results may be more profitable for both the business and the OVP.

Certainly the above is subject to debate (it is in the industry that's for sure) but YouTubes gargantuan size and resources may not make it the best value proposition. We won't know for some time. It can be a big success. It's certainly not a sure thing though.

I think Youtube tends to stick with its big money makers then smaller broadcasters. I don't think we will see them opening its live streaming service to everyone anytime soon, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxcooldude View Post
    I think Youtube tends to stick with its big money makers then smaller broadcasters. I don't think we will see them opening its live streaming service to everyone anytime soon, if at all.
    Many people can stream to YouTube using Google Plus Hangouts. I've done it.
    You have to be a partner if you want to have any chance of using a direct stream with Wirecast for YouTube or your own front end.
    Either way, YouTube is concerned with their own numbers (for their advertisers) rather than providing a quality service for your own custom use.

Quote Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
    Many people can stream to YouTube using Google Plus Hangouts. I've done it.
    You have to be a partner if you want to have any chance of using a direct stream with Wirecast for YouTube or your own front end.
    Either way, YouTube is concerned with their own numbers (for their advertisers) rather than providing a quality service for your own custom use.
    Ok, I just tested it and it indeed does let you broadcast live to your youtube channel. I guess they changed that feature later on. Thanks. I thought it just allowed you to put a prerecording up to your Youtube channel once you stopped broadcasting on hangout.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

Update:

Well, they did initially let people who have at least 1,200 subscribers have access to Youtube Live directly without going to Google+ Hangouts.

I finally applied for it but was doubtful on them letting me gain access since i only have 277 Subs. But I got access now and it does work directly from Wirecast. But obviously you have to go to Youtube to setup a Live Event first.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

This past Friday they dropped the number of subscribers needed to 100. I have 262 subs and was approved as well.
    There's a very interesting feature set. Stream at 1080 (if you have the bandwidth) and they'll create the lower bandwidth streams. DVR mode during live streams is also interesting.

IAIB Broadcaster
    I'll be trying YouTube Live for today's show including preshow. www.thatvidblasterguy.com 3 ET/8 UK with preshow starting abut 30 minutes before.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast