International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Best USB Mircophone - The Blue Snowball? WHAT!

Hybrid View

Best USB Mircophone - The Blue Snowball? WHAT!

Im just floored by all the misinformation that is out there when it comes to podcasting. I spent way too much money buying the wrong stuff because of articles like this

http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/usb-microphones/

To sum it up on the list are :

1. Blue Snowball
    2. Rode Podcaster
    3. Shure PG42USB
    4. Blue Yetti
    5. Apogee Mic 96k

Where is the ATR 2100 and AT 2005?

When I first became interested and way before stumbling onto the IAIB website I too ended up with flaky advice. My initial goal had nothing to do with webcasting but simply 'microphones' that may improve the clarity for voice dictation and Skype. Yes I know, most any mic will work for that purpose but I'm finicky that way.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 08-21-2014 at 10:59 AM.
    My top-secret email address is: DanOrtego {at} gmail

Love the AT 2005USB/XLR microphone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rodemicrophones/discussion

If you follow the pointers on youtube you may be falling into the affiliate programs. Companies pay small commissions to people who refer to their sites. The company track the origination location to pay those commissions.

You will find huge numbers of these site pointers from youtube videos. Look at all the unboxing videos and reviews is a best place to get pointed to those companies. These unboxing reviews are just what they are, nothing more. Best information is from experience owners and users.

I think you can post here or on the videomaker.com forums and get some decent answers. Principally, because you will get several responses as a usual rule from people with experience with the products.

I have two of the ATR2100 mics, an H2 Zoom recorder, and Azden wireless lapel mic. I have no problem recommending any of these products.

All the podcasters recommend the PR40 Heil microphone as excellent. I do not doubt it, but you do pay $300 for the excellence.
    Last edited by domineaux; 08-21-2014 at 11:42 AM.

I saw this the other day too. Had to snicker. I'm using an ATR2100 and an AT2005 interchangeably, depending on where I am. I typically have the 2100 in my home set up and take the 2005 on the road with me when I do mobile interviews.

I've probably got 12-15 mics I've used over the years. I used cheap Audix mics, I've used AT headsets (that I typically use for live sporting events with someone else) and I don't have a whole lot of faith in anything with software-based or USB-based things. Oddly, I have to use a USB interface running out of my board (it's not a USB board).

There's another thread here about bad advice ... and it's almost comical.

I started with USB mic's and they do have their place. I never tried the 2100 or 2005 but they are highly regarded. Once I purchased a mixer I moved away from the USB line and tried the PR40 but I ended up settling on the RE20.
    My top-secret email address is: DanOrtego {at} gmail