International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Free Pass For Podcasts

No Free Pass For Podcasts

From 2004-2012 I was the senior audio engineer at IT Conversations. The audio production for the network was handled by a few volunteers that in most cases had previous experience producing audio for both broadcast and the web.

One of the things that we strived to achieve was consistent distribution loudness throughout the entire network. This included equal, average (perceived) loudness for submitted content management audio components as well as distributed Podcasts. This approach was essential, and it freed listeners from having to constantly adjust playback volume while listening to our distributed programs.

Loudness inconsistency in broadcast was for many years a major problem. As a result the U.S. government implemented The CALM Act resulting in regulation of distribution loudness. U.S. Broadcasters must now comply with the ATSC A/85 specifications, and European Broadcasters must comply with EBU R128 specifications.

Bottom line is the days of reaching for your remote to attenuate playback volume between programs and loud adverts are finally passing.

Unfortunately the problem of inconsistent distribution loudness persists in the Podcasting Community. I've written about this extensively on my site. Check out the example that I referenced in the July 13, 2014 article "No Free Pass for Podcasts."

And so I ask:

- Are you aware that a standard PPM Meter (Peak, dBFS meter) is not capable of measuring perceived/average loudness (aka Program or Integrated Loudness)? It's designed to monitor Peak Audio Levels and to avoid overload. This has nothing to do with perception. Two programs with the same exact Peak Ceiling don't necessarily match perceptually. In other words - one program may be much louder than the other.

- Do you strive as an independent producer to distribute your Podcast with a consistent Program Loudness target and suitable Peak Ceiling from program to program?

- If you run a "network" of Podcasts - are all programs processed to specific set of targets in order to maintain consistency?

- Are you aware that the distribution of clipped audio in Podcasting is widespread?

- Do you know how to use a Loudness Meter?

- Are you aware of the broadcast standards, and how they are not suitable for internet/mobile audio distribution for various reasons.

- Do you know there are recommended best practices for Podcast Audio distribution?

Let's get into it ...

-paul.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Paul, I fully support your effort and encourage you to proceed full speed ahead. However, the majority of podcasters are hobbyists who not only don't have technical backgrounds, they're not interested in the nuts and bolts. It's frustrating. Many of them are using webcam mics, computers mics, and even Blue Snowballs. Their broadcast medium is Google Hangouts. So much for quality.

This information is the kind of stuff that is perfect for the IAIB. We're trying to cater to podcasters and Internet broadcasters who want good quality and are willing to work to achieve it.

I'm sure you would agree that the terrestrial radio loudness wars got completely out of hand to the point of making their signals unlistenable for long periods of time. Let's hope that Internet broadcasting does not continue down that path, although it's not looking good. A lot of people are looking for the "secret sauce" recipe that is nothing more than Adobe Audition's multiband audio processor. (That'll be $1000, please.)
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    Paul, I fully support your effort and encourage you to proceed full speed ahead. However, the majority of podcasters are hobbyists who not only don't have technical backgrounds, they're not interested in the nuts and bolts. It's frustrating. Many of them are using webcam mics, computers mics, and even Blue Snowballs. Their broadcast medium is Google Hangouts. So much for quality.

This information is the kind of stuff that is perfect for the IAIB. We're trying to cater to podcasters and Internet broadcasters who want good quality and are willing to work to achieve it.

I'm sure you would agree that the terrestrial radio loudness wars got completely out of hand to the point of making their signals unlistenable for long periods of time. Let's hope that Internet broadcasting does not continue down that path, although it's not looking good. A lot of people are looking for the "secret sauce" recipe that is nothing more than Adobe Audition's multiband audio processor. (That'll be $1000, please.)
    Mike,

Talk about being on the same page Part of the reason why I joined the forum was because I'm so frustrated with the amount of bad advise that is being passed around in the space. And I know EXACTLY what you are referring to with regards to the Audition "secret sauce" preset in exchange for $1K. It's absolutly incredible.

And what about people charging for gear setup "recommendations" when the consultant has absolutely no clue and no understanding of what they are recommending? I saw one video on YouTube where the consultant was pretty candid about his lack of understanding of setup for a compressor and was operating solely on guidance of the manufacturer. And people pay him for this advise? Wow ...

And guess what? That "secret sauce" is part of the reason why many podcasts are up around -10.0 LUFS (Program Loudness), which in my opinion is just way too loud and overdone. It's almost like these guy's are using Loudness to set themselves apart from everyone else with no regard for best practices. This mindset ruined music distribution and terrestrial radio. Now it's happening in the Podcasting space.

I totally understand that many Podcast Producers are (with respect) Hobbyists and lack the skills that are required for proper gear setup/use, and post production techniques. The reason why I started this thread was to attempt to ignite a productive discussion and offer any assistance that I can. I'm not 100% familiar with everyone that participates here. OTOH I do know that advice offered by guys like Mike and Andrew is 100% legit.

-paul.

This is a good discussion and will be a good service, if it produces more positive results.

It is correct there are so many non-knowledgeable persons doing podcasting audio and video.

The people that are presenting themselves as podcasting consultants for the most part are not unlike consultants in other disciplines.
    I recall when people would install a plug in modem in their computer and believed themselves to be experts.

I've watched hundreds of hours of videos and audios on the topic of podcasting. Disinformation is very prominent. Most people don't know the difference.

Just learning the terminology is daunting most of the time. I have bought hardware and software that I may never use. GuitarCenter helped me alot...to buy things. I'm not knocking them, the guy helping me knew about as much as I did. GC is more of a music store and podcasting is not that appealing to the clerks.

I've learned alot on youtube and I'm grateful for the information. I could never learn what I know now from reading podcast books, if there are any. I'm not saying I know so much either.

I appreciate anyone that is willing to share, and put up with our lack of knowledge and understanding about audio. I don't believe in the "secret sauce".

Thanks for sharing it definitely means something to me.

I’ve only been into this hobby for about a year and I too ended up with gear that I now realize is less than ideal for podcasting. As for the so-called ‘secret sauce’ I never knew what that meant until now. Ironically, I had downloaded the demo version of Adobe Audition a few days ago without realizing this is the overrated ingredient that some have been referring to. In its defense I can attest that it’s a huge step up from ‘Garage Band’ and I sorta like it.

The sound engineering part of this hobby is the most intriguing for me and I suck up as much information from people like Mike, Andrew and Donovan that I can get. However, if I had to do it all over again with what I know now, I would have started with a Wheatstone/Audio Arts or Axia unit while skipping everything else in between. Hindsight is 20/20 but I had no idea I would become addicted and hence, I now have some buyers remorse with some of the gear I have. Oh well, 'at least I'm saving 15% or more on my car insurance'.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 08-18-2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: More to say…
    My top-secret email address is: DanOrtego {at} gmail

Thanks, Dan, for mentioning me in the great company of Mike and Andrew!

For those that are interested, here is the "secret sauce" setting in Audition. It's a modified version of of the Multi-band Compressor stock setting for radio broadcast. If I remember correctly, the only thing that gets modified is the limiter, which is set at -1.5db. I'm also including a link that shows my Dynamics Processor effect that I came up with on my own. I record my raw audio at -12db to -6db, process with the Multi-band Compress and then apply my Dynamics Processor to expand certain levels and gate out anything at certain frequencies. I experimented with the Dynamics Processor until it just sounded right to my own ears. Not a very scientific approach, I know.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/amn_shows/m...r_settings.png

https://s3.amazonaws.com/amn_shows/m...r_settings.png
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

Regarding my assessment of the widespread distribution of clipped audio ...

Here's some data lifted from one of the most popular, commercially produced Podcasts available:

Notice the Peak Ceiling is 0dBFS. However the "True Peak" is +0.2 dBTP. The distributed MP3 actually contains 1846 Intersample Peaks. This is essentially clipped audio.

The root of the problem is (in most cases) the attributes of lossy codecs (MP3), and the lack of available headroom in the source or "lossless" master. If your WAV or AIFF has a Peak Ceiling near or at 0 dBFS prior to encoding to lossy, the resulting MP3 may potentially include clipped samples. The lower the bit rate, the higher the risk.

The way around this is simple: Headroom. Typically I recommend a Peak Ceiling of -1.5 dB (or lower) in your WAV or AIFF prior to encoding, with -1.0 dB as the ultimate Ceiling.

Again it's important to note that the Peak Ceiling has nothing to do with perception, or what we are hearing in terms of average loudness. The key is to be conscious of the Program (average) Loudness AND the True Peak, treating them as separate indicators.

-paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post

For those that are interested, here is the "secret sauce" setting in Audition. It's a modified version of of the Multi-band Compressor stock setting for radio broadcast. If I remember correctly, the only thing that gets modified is the limiter, which is set at -1.5db.
    Donovan,

With respect the Margin paramater in the Limiter settings area is what sets the ultimate Peak Ceiling. It's not the same as the global Output Gain setting.

Try this -

Grab a piece of audio with consistent loudness and purposely max it out. In other words - Peak Normalize to 0 dBFS. Now pass it through the Audition Multi-Band Compressor using your modified preset. You'll notice the Peak Ceiling on the output will surpass -1.5 dB.

Now set the Output Gain to 0 dB, and set the Margin in the Limiter settings area to -1.5 dB. Do you see a difference?

-paul.

Quote Originally Posted by ptfigg View Post
    Donovan,

With respect the Margin paramater in the Limiter settings area is what sets the ultimate Peak Ceiling. It's not the same as the global Output Gain setting.

Try this -

Grab a piece of audio with consistent loudness and purposely max it out. In other words - Peak Normalize to 0 dBFS. Now pass it through the Audition Multi-Band Compressor using your modified preset. You'll notice the Peak Ceiling on the output will surpass -1.5 dB.

Now set the Output Gain to 0 dB, and set the Margin in the Limiter settings area to -1.5 dB. Do you see a difference?

-paul.
    Thanks for the info, Paul. I'll play around with it just for my own educational purposes, but since Mike told me not to touch anything because my audio sounded almost perfect, I'm hesitant to really change anything on my productions. I'm always willing to learn, though!
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

Here's what I mean:

Watch this short demo Video.

Keep an eye on the numerical Output Gain during playback. You'll notice even though it's level is set to -1.5 dB, the actual Peak Ceiling is surpassing it.

The -1.5 dB Peak Ceiling of the output is maintained once I define -1.5 dB as the Margin in the Limiter settings area. This is the correct way to set up Limiting and to prevent clipping down stream.

-paul.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast