International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No Free Pass For Podcasts

Thanks Paul, thanks Tommy. I was referred to this thread precisely because someone thought it might be pointed at me since I'm out there talking about Loudness on my show. So at the very least, being excluded is important as you can see. And I'm always open for constructive criticism if something I'm saying needs work. Thanks everyone! IAIB is a great site with so much awesome content. Glad this resource exists.

Quote Originally Posted by rayortega View Post
    Great conversation guys and I'm on-board. However, it would be helpful if you actually pointed out who you were referring to if you are going to call out others. At a very minimum it would be respectful to exclude people you are not talking about. Painting a broad stoke over "consultant" is damaging to those of us who are perceived as consultants whether we actually promote ourselves that way or not.

In my case, I'm working hard to help podcasters understand the issue and process of Loudness Normalization. If I'm doing something wrong in your opinion it would be very helpful to know that. I am aware of who this thread is mostly calling out but there are some very broad statements in here that don't let anyone else know who is or isn't giving out "bad" information.

Again, all this info is very helpful and I'm excited to help those podcasters who care enough about their production values understand what loudness is about and how it works.
    Ray, question:

If you're comfortable with your level of knowledge, hands on experience, and feedback received - why would you be so concerened with my general accusations about the "bad advise" that is circulating out there? You obviously have a solid reputation. That's all that should matter.

Let me ask you - have you ever openly disclosed that you basically had no clue about a piece of gear, passed along manufactuers' recommendations to a client of yours, and then charged a fee for this advise? Or, have you ever passed along information about a plugin that you had no clue about, recommended the use of a "preset" - with very little understanding of what the processor was actually doing - and then charged a fee for it?

This is the kind of stuff that I'm taking about.

Also, if you and/or the person that tipped you off about my accusations, are concerned that I may have been implying that your advise directly related to audio processing/loudness compliance is "bad" - that was not the case. The question is - do you feel that you are at a level where you can honestly take on the responsibility as a teacher for this subject? Are you simply using your position in the community acting as a conduit, passing along what you are leaning from others to those in the community who want to hear what you have to say? If this is the case well then if someone calls you out, you should be prepared to backup what you are passing along.

From a personal standpoint, if someone reads what I write or hears what I have to say and gains value from it, well that's great. If not, who cares? I know that I would never charge someone for generic advise, especially if I had no clue about what I was recommending. And If I do take a stand, I'm prepared to back it up. Lastly, I'm always aware that eventually someone else is going to come along who has more experience and a higher level of knowledge. When this happens everyone benefits.

-paul.

Definitely not here to argue or fill this thread with unrelated discussion so I'll email separately. Just pointing out that perception is everything (insert loudness joke here). Although I will say this might make a good Podcasters' Roundtable, you're all invited!

Bottom line is there are good consultants and bad consultants. Its seems to be the trend now with people coming into podcasting and claiming to be an expert when they have no experience with podcasting. The bad thing is these people are hurting the good guys out there.. Ray is one of the good ones out there trying to make a difference.

For those interested Hindenburg Journalist Pro is the only audio editing system built exclusively for radio journalists and raconteurs. It automatically adjusts loudness of narrated and music audio to meet EU, UK and US broadcast loudness levels. Below is a video that shows this in practice:

I am testing this software and I am very impressed.

Very impressive and seems great for someone like me that doesn’t care to dive into the weeds with the science.
    My top-secret email address is: DanOrtego {at} gmail

Quote Originally Posted by docizzen View Post
    For those interested Hindenburg Journalist Pro is the only audio editing system built exclusively for radio journalists and raconteurs. It automatically adjusts loudness of narrated and music audio to meet EU, UK and US broadcast loudness levels. Below is a video that shows this in practice:

Very nice! Let us know how you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by docizzen View Post

It's definitely nice software. In fact I've been in touch with them.

If you're working in Radio Post targeting R128 specs, well then it's a no brainer. OTOH if you're producing for internet/mobile and Podcast, there's no way to customize the automatic loudness processing targets.

The issue is -23.0 LUFS Program Loudness (that's average loudness and not Peak Amplitude) is not suitable for all formats of delivery. It's simply perceptually too "low." Try listening to a Podcast or watching a video on a mobile device in a noisy ambient space with the audio Loudness Normalized to -23.0 LUFS. You'll see what I mean.

In my conversation with the Hindy developer, it was noted that they realize there is a sort of discrepancy. However they don't necessarilly support the idea of multiple loudness specifications. In my view there's simply no way around it.

Bottom line is if this changes, I may then take a serious look at it. Like I said it is a well designed (and pretty) application.

-paul

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234