International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Behringer?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    Paul .. Great question. I have also noticed many people using the MDX4600. I personally don't like it. I would take a DBX 286s over it any day. It really comes down to people not really knowing what to buy. Its a lot of bang for your buck so people buy it. I have personally converted atleast 6 people from an MDX4600 to a DBX 286s
    So I'm new to anything related to audio and getting into this for the first time with some friends so bare with me for not understanding.

The DBX 286s has only one XLR input so would you not need 4 of these to equal one MDX4600 or would you use something in front of the DBX 286s in order to have more than one MIC input than put it through the DBX286?

The MDX4600 for someone who's never touched something like this seems like the better option for someone new because of the 4 XLR inputs, but I also know you're the professional.

Is the MDX better for someone just starting out (trying to make it to the professional level recording) or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Thank you in advance!

I figured out what my confusion is now. I didn't understand what a gate was vs a mixer compressor. While I now have a more basic understanding I obviously have a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by blkeagle View Post
    So I'm new to anything related to audio and getting into this for the first time with some friends so bare with me for not understanding.

The DBX 286s has only one XLR input so would you not need 4 of these to equal one MDX4600 or would you use something in front of the DBX 286s in order to have more than one MIC input than put it through the DBX286?

The MDX4600 for someone who's never touched something like this seems like the better option for someone new because of the 4 XLR inputs, but I also know you're the professional.

Is the MDX better for someone just starting out (trying to make it to the professional level recording) or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Thank you in advance!
    Happy to help, and I'm sure you'll pick up additional opinions on this.

Here's my take:

The Behringer is a 4-channel Dynamics Processor. The dbx is a single channel Voice Processor. Specifically - the Behringer is a Compressor, Limiter, and Gate that can independently process four audio sources. It does not have a Mic input. The dbx 286s is designed to process a single mic. You can plug your Mic directly into it, or patch the processor into a mixer to utilize the mixer's preamp. It all depends on what preamp you decide to use to drive your mic.

There are some common parameters on both units.

In a perfect world, and depending how complex your system is - you would actually benefit by having both processors integrated into your system, although as I've stated, I would not recommend the Behringer.

You would use the dbx 286s to process your mic and the dynamics processor to handle incoming sources, like Skype and/or Telco audio.

Anyway - for a nice quality voice recording, go with the Voice Processor. It's probably all you will need. If you decide to expand your system, then consider a dynamics processor for the purposes that I've noted.

-paul.
    Last edited by ptfigg; 08-27-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12