International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of mixer do you use?

What kind of mixer do you use?

I am looking to get a new mixer and I was wondering what type of mixer you are using.

I am looking at getting a Mackie 1402-VLZ4 It might be overkill but I had a smaller Mackie mixer a few years ago and it was great

Interesting timing as I just ordered a new mixer today! After months of pondering, second-guessing, vacillating, flipping coins and thinking about the theory of Atlantis, I opted for the Behringer X32 Rack mixer. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I didn't really need it because my current Behringer X1204USB is working just fine. I simply wanted something a bit more full-featured and that may tuck away nicely inside my fully enclosed ventilated rack. While I don't think I'll be using this new rig to its full potential I'm hopeful the iPad integration may provide a sweet set-up.

You see, overkill is in the eyes of the beholder and I already know that I passed buyers remorse a few components ago.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 07-31-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: More to say...
    My top-secret email address is: DanOrtego {at} gmail

I wish I had known about voicemeeter before I got into the mixer bit.
    You can do a mix minus with voicemeeter and it's a software.

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

Be sure to check out the videos at the bottom of this page. You could save yourself a bunch of money and not have to take up space on your desktop. Then of course, the mixer will make you appear to be a techie. LOL

Since, I found voicemeeter I haven't turned on my mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by domineaux View Post
    I wish I had known about voicemeeter before I got into the mixer bit.
    You can do a mix minus with voicemeeter and it's a software.

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

Be sure to check out the videos at the bottom of this page. You could save yourself a bunch of money and not have to take up space on your desktop. Then of course, the mixer will make you appear to be a techie. LOL

Since, I found voicemeeter I haven't turned on my mixer.
    Wow, that's quite a testimonial. I checked the link and was expecting some promo video but I guess they reside somewhere else, perhaps over on YouTube. Anyway, if it works then that's great! I'm sure that everything we do with beautiful boxes and lots of pretty lights will end up like' relics of the Cold War alongside 8-track tapes, Zumba, and cargo pants.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 07-31-2014 at 04:46 PM.

The videos are at the bottom of the page. Yes, technology is catching up.

I'm going to hold onto my mixer for a couple more months to make sure I won't need it podcasting. If my guess is right... I won't need it. I'll put that puppy on craigslist and give it a fair-the-well. The mixer is 16 x 16 x 6 and takes up too much space on my desktop.

The videos are at the bottom of the page. Yes, technology is catching up.

I'm going to hold onto my mixer for a couple more months to make sure I won't need it podcasting. If my guess is right... I won't need it. I'll put that puppy on craigslist and give it a fair-the-well. The mixer is 16 x 16 x 6 and takes up too much space on my desktop.
    How many inputs and outputs do you typically use on a production?
    How are you connecting the hardware audio inputs into your computer without using your mixer?

Quote Originally Posted by MovieBuff View Post
    How are you connecting the hardware audio inputs into your computer without using your mixer?
    I just watched the first video and it was a little creepy. The background music overpowered the presenter and it sounded horrible. The virtual XLR cables and all those drop down menus are more than I think I could handle. Then again, I'll be older than dirt in less than a week. As they say, 'different strokes for different folks'. My skin is still crawling from the presenter's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by MovieBuff View Post
    I user one input far left column of the voicemeeter for mic., the second column is for second mic or you use for Skype and turn of the sound playback to the Skype caller (mixminus).
    The third column will play your audacity, or other system audio. The outputs in the fourth column are for the A and B.

This is the best tutorial I found for starting out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6rp9lkiFBU

I was very determined to make it work, even though I did have difficulties with it.

Yeah, that background music was bad, but the video with the guy talking in the background and foreground really got to me.

Do you have USB mic?

I user one input far left column of the voicemeeter for mic., the second column is for second mic or you use for Skype and turn of the sound playback to the Skype caller (mixminus).
    The third column will play your audacity, or other system audio. The outputs in the fourth column are for the A and B.

This is the best tutorial I found for starting out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6rp9lkiFBU

I was very determined to make it work, even though I did have difficulties with it.

Yeah, that background music was bad, but the video with the guy talking in the background and foreground really got to me.

Do you have USB mic?
    Thanks!

I am guessing you are asking Dan that mic question. If not, I have the Audio Technica 2005USB/XLR microphone.

I messed up my response and posted it as a reply to MovieBuff. Anyway, I no longer have a USB mic as I retired my Apogee. I do still have the Shure USB converter if anyone is interested. Once I finally found a dynamic mic that worked for me I stopped the mic love-fest. Along those lines, I guess this whole virtual mixer set-up can prevent costly missteps with equipment so that's a good thing'.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 07-31-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast