International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Podcast a Dirty Word?

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Kobren View Post
    The bottom line is that you guys are broadcasters. I didn't all of a sudden become a “podcaster” or a “netcaster” just because I chose to leave radio and broadcast my program exclusively on the internet.
    In my view, referring to yourself as anything less than an internet broadcaster sells what you do short.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeBreadRadio View Post
    Absolutely, especially for anyone that's put hundreds to thousands of dollars into creating a full-fledged 'studio' in their house! To call anyone from GFQ short of broadcasters would be ridiculous, in my book..
    Yep, agree on both accounts. I continue to upgrade and add additional equipment to my home studio to increase quality and to call it podcasting does seem to lessen it. I mean, I won't be offended if I'm called a podcaster, but I definitely feel that Internet Broadcaster, as a label, is much more effective and accurate.
    Donovan Adkisson
    Adkisson Digital
    http://www.adkissondigital.com
    http://about.me/gdadkisson | Twitter: @gdadkisson
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have you read my books?
    Podcasting: Year One http://www.donovanadkisson.com/pyo
    Fifty and Furious http://www.donovanadkisson.com/fifty

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RyeBreadRadio View Post
    Absolutely, especially for anyone that's put hundreds to thousands of dollars into creating a full-fledged 'studio' in their house! To call anyone from GFQ short of broadcasters would be ridiculous, in my book..
    Look, the truth is I have the opportunity to join online networks created by “real” radio personalities, but I choose to work with and stick with GFQ. Internet broadcasting is an art that incorporates elements that far exceed the scope of conventional broadcasting...GFQ gets it and I’m proud to be part of what they do!
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    Yep, agree on both accounts. I continue to upgrade and add additional equipment to my home studio to increase quality and to call it podcasting does seem to lessen it. I mean, I won't be offended if I'm called a podcaster, but I definitely feel that Internet Broadcaster, as a label, is much more effective and accurate.
    There are so many really talented internet broadcasters who are creating compelling and entertaining content who sadly, paint themselves into the “podcasting” corner, not even realizing that they are doing themselves a tremendous disservice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Kobren View Post
    There are so many really talented internet broadcasters who are creating compelling and entertaining content who sadly, paint themselves into the “podcasting” corner, not even realizing that they are doing themselves a tremendous disservice.
    Absolutely. It reminds me of what I used to think radio was until it became a numbers game. The hey day of radio (which I caught the tail end of) had people with personalities, people who thought differently and people who were given a shot to become something... now that format is a shell of its former self. It relegates the interesting people to the side while instead putting the status quo "personalities" who only intro and outro songs.

Internet Broadcasting is the new form of expression and creativity and it is not held down by the corporate conglomerates (for now anyway). This is the wild west of broadcasting, which means in the coming years you are going to get some pretty interesting stuff. Not all of it good, but most of it uninhibited.

I was a radio guy and have been gathering former personalities, who actually had personalities, who were stuffed in the corner to begin our network. I have also come across several talented non-radio people and have taken chances on them. It is a lot of fun creating on this platform.

So to discard it as just a "podcast" seems to limit what I am actually doing. A podcast (as stated earlier) seems like what a WoW kid (not discriminating) does in his parents basement . An Internet Broadcaster is committed to putting out high quality content that stretches beyond the bounds of a simple podcast.
    Last edited by BradShoemaker; 04-05-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BradShoemaker View Post
    Absolutely. It reminds me of what I used to think radio was until it became a numbers game. The hey day of radio (which I caught the tail end of) had people with personalities, people who thought differently and people who were given a shot to become something... now that format is a shell of its former self. It relegates the interesting people to the side while instead putting the status quo "personalities" who only intro and outro songs.

Internet Broadcasting is the new form of expression and creativity and it is not held down by the corporate conglomerates (for now anyway). This is the wild west of broadcasting, which means in the coming years you are going to get some pretty interesting stuff. Not all of it good, but most of it uninhibited.

I was a radio guy and have been gathering former personalities, who actually had personalities, who were stuffed in the corner to begin our network. I have also come across several talented non-radio people and have taken chances on them. It is a lot of fun creating on this platform.

So to discard it as just a "podcast" seems to limit what I am actually doing. A podcast (as stated earlier) seems like what a WoW kid (not discriminating) does in his parents basement . An Internet Broadcaster is committed to putting out high quality content that stretches beyond the bounds of a simple podcast.
    Well said Brad! Podcasting needs to be a part of all internet broadcaster’s repertoires, but it’s only one aspect of the content creation needed to have a truly successful internet broadcast, in my view.

I was telling someone about podcasting and they asked me if its "something like amateur radio" I think some people dont take it seriously

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12