International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Dynamic vs. Condenser Microphones

Dynamic vs. Condenser Microphones

I know many people will say that a Dynamic microphone is the way to go for Podcasting but is it really? Does it really come down to the microphone or the equipment that goes along with it. I have listened to some great sounding podcasts that are using Condenser Microphones and some really bad sounding podcasts that are using Dynamic.

With that said lets break this down. Is it the mic or your setup that will ultimately get you to have good audio. What brought this on was a topic I was reading on a message board where people were debating what microphone sounds best for podcasting. I know its not sexy when you hear that its not all about the hardware but ... its not all about the hardware.

I have both, since I am podcaster. I use ATR2100 and sound quality is good to excellent.
    I use a focusrite 2i2 interface between the mic and my computer.

Most mixers have preamps to enrich the sound even more, whether yuou are using condenser or dynamic mics.

I use dynamic for voice. There is a smaller window of reception with dynamic mics. It will take about half a minute listening to yourself to know learn the range of reception.

Condenser works fine, if you have a gate to cut back on outside noise. Condenser good in studio that has good sound proofing and is best for music recording.
    Last edited by domineaux; 07-24-2014 at 08:21 AM.