International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Is there hope for the future of alternative media on the internet?

Cool Is there hope for the future of alternative media on the internet?

The big communication companies now are licking their chops like a bear for honey.

These companies will take over the internet just like everything else in communication. You better believe they have a plan, and your aren't going to be a part of it. They will consolidate all communications as now in the mainstream media. What you get will be what they provide.

All of us associated with the so-called alternative media will either be extremely vocal and prolific in our rebuke of internet controls...or they will get the honey.

You think the big communications companies aren't feeling secure in the takeover of the internet. You better think again. All these big mergers and takeovers are being based on a takeover of the internet. No way, an industry that is on the ropes would be making these kinds offers. Right now TImeWarner has dropped all contracts with users and no limits on services you want. That is planned to pull in as many subscribers as possible so they are better leveraged for value as a company in a buyout. In other words, the more subscribers the more attractive the company appears to buyers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...me-warner.html

Again, and this is serious. Look at the viewers and ratings on the television networks. These companies are sagging on the vine, yet they are making huge buy out offers. These people have to have assurances from the government they are going to take over the alternative media...you can count on it.

Is there hope for us? I doubt it, unless we can get people engaged to protect and defend the freedom of the internet and the alternative media. Honestly, I see no hope for the internet as we have known it. All those big communications companies know that Hulu, NetFlix and the internet media that is popping up every day will lead to their demise. Think about it, these communications companies aren't making offers to buy internet based businesses in communications, and many of the internet companies are doing exceptionally well. These companies cannot run their monopolistic enterprises without complete control, including the content they provide.

Old school thinking and dominance of the communications industry in the hands of a few is their goal, and they are determined. Now these communication giants are making huge offers for mergers and takeovers. They definitely have some powerful incentives and government assurances, since their future is in the tank otherwise.

Seriously, the future doesn't look bright for continuance of the internet as we have known it. The big communications companies have the inside track, and you are seeing the manifestations right now of their success to achieve authority over the internet.
    Last edited by domineaux; 07-17-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Yeah, you're right. I just put all of my audio equipment on eBay. Thanks for the heads up.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    Yeah, you're right. I just put all of my audio equipment on eBay. Thanks for the heads up.
    You are welcome. I hope you get a good price for your stuff.

I hope we can preserve the internet, but 75 billion dollars for Time Warner is outrageous amount of money.
    Comcast has been licking their chops for buyouts as well. The mainstream media and cable television providers are sucking wind, you don't buy dying companies unless you "know something".

I have TImeWarner cable (VOIP,CableTV,Internet) - bundled services. The company is thoroughly incompetent. If they didn't have monopoly contracts they could not exist. I have to return the so-called recorder box and swap it out about every six months, the remotes I replace on a bi-monthly basis. The TW internet is down so often I have their support number taped to the front of my computer (1-888-892-2253). AT&T is now offering UVerse service in my area. My wife has UVerse service internet service at her work, and it is down as often as Time Warner. I suspect AT&T worked a deal with TW and is using the TW networks for it's network core. There does seem to be a correlation when the two cable internet services are down.

TW has monopoly contracts and they own the biggest dog in cable televsion news "CNN". There is only one thing that could motivate those kinds of buyouts, monopoly. The internet is the open door to the most interactive media we have ever known. The big boys in the communications industry want control of the internet, and they know how to turn it into a cash cow for themselves. In turn, they will denigrate services and quadruple the prices (or worse).

Someone has to know something, and that something is very big for anyone to even think about buying a junk business like TW for 75 billion dollars. I suspect the price will go even higher before it sells.
    Last edited by domineaux; 07-18-2014 at 08:58 AM.