International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limitations of Webcams. Nothing new in years

Question Limitations of Webcams. Nothing new in years

I was doing some research on new webcams and we have no seen a new high end webcam come to the market in almost 3 years. The last one was the Logitech C920 and it was released January 5th 2012.

Why have we not seen any new cameras hit the market? Is it that we have reached a limitation?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSaunders View Post
    I was doing some research on new webcams and we have no seen a new high end webcam come to the market in almost 3 years. The last one was the Logitech C920 and it was released January 5th 2012.

Why have we not seen any new cameras hit the market? Is it that we have reached a limitation?
    Personally, I think the webcam market is slowly phasing out because most web cameras need to be tethered to computers. I am assuming many want portable cameras with higher resolutions and better image quality.

The Logitech C930e did come out, but has some issues apparently.

The HoverCam 3PO is the latest webcam that I have seen that is impressive. It has USB 3.0 and has a 3K resolution.

Details: http://www.thehovercam.com/press/pro...mation/352-3po

I saw that video a few months ago. Didnt someone from the company come on this site and say that the project was delayed? I would like to get some info if possible

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSaunders View Post
    I saw that video a few months ago. Didnt someone from the company come on this site and say that the project was delayed? I would like to get some info if possible
    It was delayed until June according to this thread: http://forum.ibroadcastnetwork.org/s...light=Hovercam It may have been delayed a bit more, I am not sure. I am really interested in this product.

I'm also interested. I am hopeful that I will get my hands on a review unit when it is ready to be released.

Seems as though we've gone another year without any new major advancements in webcams. I'm at the point where I'm looking for something better than my C920 without having to spend over $400 for a better camera and capture card.
    Watch Tech News Weekly every Friday at 3pm EST on the GFQ Network.

It probably has a great deal to do with the people who actually manufacture the webcams...not the broker distributors that brand name them. Look at the motherboards today... Intel and AMD are still using 8 year old base processor technology, just adding cores. I suspect the offshore motherboard manufacturers have gone through large support problems with changing technology. Seriously, I doubt for the most part they know little or nothing about what they are doing...except running their CNC machines and pick and place robots. I am still running a Intel Q6600 processor with 4 gig of ram, and 1 gig video card. The processor is running at 2.6 and I can easily overclock, but I don't need the extra speed. I do alot of animated graphics in addition to video production, and rarely experience a memory issue.

IMO, the GoPro and Blackmagic would be the best sources to come with new and better webcams. These companies have state of the art video technology and the people to develop it. Maybe, we should be nudging those companies to produce webcams.

The C920 I suspect could be improved alot with updates to the software.
    Last edited by domineaux; 07-24-2015 at 03:15 AM.

Webcams use a lot of software tech to drive its quality. They really have not been improved since 2012 because what they have currently is good enough for most. Apple is currently leading the way when it comes to laptop webcams. No one is even coming close on the PC side and its really sad.

Logitech has no reason to even try at this point because no one is competing with them and the c920 is better than anything else on the market.

Bottom line. It comes down to competition

It is sad.

America has always had people who strived for newer and better constantly. Status quo improves nothing.

Sad commentary about America...for sure.

does anyone have experience with higher end PC based laptops and their webcams? I have yet to find one that has a decent webcam built in. something close to the Facetime camera that mac has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast