International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Callers - The missing element in podcasting?

Lightbulb Callers - The missing element in podcasting?

We are about to implement a call in system at the GFQ Network and I wanted to get the communities opinion on this topic.

Do you think having phone calls is one of the missing elements to having a successful podcast? Callers are a major part in many successful radio shows but its been rarely used in the podcasting world.

Do you think this is something we need to start implementing in our shows?

If you're using the narrow definition of podcasting that only refers to shows recorded in a non-live setting between two or more on-air voices, then it is rare.

I've been using a call system for years as part of my live shows, all of which are distributed as podcasts, and it's been very successful.

A successful show, distributed as a podcast, ultimately is built on the quality of the hosts and their content. There are some forms of broadcasts that benefit greatly from having callers, but there are plenty that wouldn't benefit an awful lot or don't have audiences large enough to sustain a sufficient call volume.

I often tell people that broadcasting (and podcasting) is ultimately about building & growing a community, not just getting folks together to yammer about a subject. They need to build and engage an audience, calls *can* be a fantastic way to do this.

There is no silver bullet when it comes to broadcasting. If calls, which are ultimately a highly interactive element of a show, fit the broadcast, then they can help tremendously.

from a listener's perspective, I enjoy it when shows have listeners call-in, but I hate that I am never able to participate as I'm at work when most of my favorite shows are recorded.

I would love to take callers but its too much work. Here are the reasons why.

1. I hate taking callers blindly. It makes it very difficult when the caller is "not good"
    2. Call in systems are expensive for most podcasters.
    3. Skype is wonderful but not a great solution for a talk format

I know Blog Talk Radio allows you to screen calls but the service is not worth it if you ask me.