International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Podcasting discussions relating to file storeage, websites, and other management

Podcasting discussions relating to file storeage, websites, and other management

I have read many postings and seen many videos about the normal ways that podcasts are managed.

The Libsyn and other sites are repositories for the files, and they provide storage, quick downloads and statistics.

The itunes, gbrry, type of sites keep a directory of podcasts, music, etc., which is focused around a search engine for people to find files by genre, or search terms, etc.

It is also worth noting that many sites that are repositories seem to have some rights to the files, which seems to be over-reach to me. Maybe, a consideration if they host the files and download them free.

The reason I am bringing this up.. I rent a virtual private server and host my own websites on the server. It isn't cheap, but I have complete control of everything and ROOT access to my VPS. I see value in using the itunes, and other directory sites. I also see value in sites like Libsyn. Yes, it could be possible the volume of file downloads on my VPS could possibly exceed my server limits. Is that possible, probably not.

When my files are on my server no one has a position with me, or my files. I have stats and tools on the VPS server that are competent and comprehensive. Also, I have a couple of software statistic things like Google stats as well. I'm not sure a Libysn or other file respository would provide any better tools for reviewing site traffic.

I don't use Wordpress, but I could easily use it. I have tried WP many times and found it is very limiting over time. I can give my reasons, but I concluded that basically WP is great for an individual blog. It isn't good for developing a serious site, especially if you allow others to post onto the site. I mention WP, because so many podcasters use it.

I'm not knocking WP. The threshold for learning WP is also not very restrictive and that helps alot. Since, I have years of experience building websites there are not many limitations to what I can do website wise. I realize there are people with little or no experience building websites so definitely WP is about as simple as you can get. There are some freebie website builder tools available I would not recommend. Most have terms, conditions, and advertising authorizations as well.

I would think new podcasters want to make sure they have capacity for all things, as I did. It is just basic podcating 101 you need a website or blog. On a budget I would get a pretty cheap hosting with as much bang for the buck as possible. You must be very careful selecting a host, and check reviews. Remember, any self styled expert who has the money can rent a server and be a host company.

If I were a newb:

Use a libsyn or other low cost file respository for your files especially to start.

Do not use a Cheap hosting company for your website, unless they have very good reviews. Most shared hosting companies notoriously oversell bandwidth. Your files could be inaccessible or download so slow it would not be practical to listeners or viewers and you wouldn't know it.

Godaddy, hostgator, and several other well advertised hosting companies do have good support that works well with newbs. If you are new to site building, and working with a server this can be very important.

Newbs would do well to use WordPress to build a blog

Make certain to be linked into all file directories that would point to your files for download.

Video podcasts I would suggest to use a mass upload application to get files up for viewing in as many video sites as possible. The video sites all have search engines of their own.

The purpose of this thread is not tell anyone how to do it, but I hope it can turn into a good discussion thread where members can explore their ideas with myself and others sharing.

No one person ever has a corner on all the good ideas!
    Last edited by domineaux; 06-23-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Well, it all seemed very useful to me so thanks for posting.
    My top-secret email address is: DanOrtego {at} gmail

I am new to podcasting solo and I am working to build my own brand, but I found the combination of hosting my own website using Wordpress (it is my own domain), and using Amazon S3 for my podcast storage.

Chris

I would suggest not to use Amazon S3 for hosting your files. I suggest Libsyn or Blubrry. You can get started with them very inexpensively. You can use either with the powerpress plugin for Wordpress. I inquired with Blubrry, if they had plans for porting the powerpress to other CMS. Nope, there are 60 million Wordpess sites, and the recent 3.9.1 interim release has already had over 9 million downloads.

Why do I say that when there are a zillion other choices. IMO, podcasting has enough complications, setups, configurations, software, hardware, website building, etc. I mean the list is large and any one thing can cause you days of work. Having problems with file hosting can exist and you won't even know it.

You can have a 100 listeners that will just move on, if your files aren't working properly. Maybe one will try to contact you. There is too much to see, too much to hear, and too many people offering content to waste time with any one that is not getting the job done.

Well, personally the prices are still too high for me. Hosting audio files with Libsyn or Blubrry ok, but video files... I'm not a professional podcaster (heck, I'll have to produce my first one...) so $80.00/Mo for 1 Gb is a lot of money. Let's say you're doing a one hour 720p podcast (1 Gb?) then your storage is already gone... No more podcasts that month! That's the reason I'll probably going to put my videos on YouTube and Vimeo (yes, I know...) and maybe my audio files at Libsyn or Blubrry.

That is probably best go for most everyone.

You can get a good deal with youtube live events and hangouts "free" and they are hosted free as well. Using regular post edited videos on youtube as well. There are some free applicatons that will put your videos up on multiple sites as well.

You might look into some compressor type softwares for making your files smaller and still retain high quality.

In youtube search enter "reduce video file size itunes handbrake". You can find videos on making your mp4 files a lot smaller.

You can do the same type of search on reducing MP3 audio as well.

I was astonished at how far the iTunes and handbrake tools could reduce my video files.

When you build your website you will find there are players that will embed your videos and play them on your site. Some will even prohibit users from doing a click drill down, which would take your users off your site directly to youtube.

I would suggest, you think about short length videos. Take the time to create a good script and use a teleprompter to read it back on your first videos. Here is a link to the one I use... it's free.

http://www.easyprompter.com/

You have to play with it some to get the readback speed for you.

Remember - - creating a script will help you to consolidate and present your information more efficiently and you can weed out trash talk. If your content isn't worth creating a script, you might want to leave off until you have better content. If you waste time in videos...your viewers will lose patience very quickly and you will see it very clearly in your analytics.

Remember - -- all movie trailers are around two and a half minutes. You have to have some very interesting stuff to retain viewers.

Remember --- viewers can't do other things when they watch your video, like they can an audio podcast.

All those people you see jogging and walking on treadmills at the gym aren't all listening to music. Large numbers of them are multi-tasking... listening to podcasts of information they are interested to know.
    Last edited by domineaux; 08-10-2014 at 04:59 PM.