International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Bitrate should my Podcast be

the best way to do it is to record uncompressed audio and work your way down from there. Generally spoken word can be anywhere from 64 - 128 kbps . We recently went up to 96kbps with our shows

Always record at 44.1 wav file. Keep everything uncompressed as you assemble your episode. Then export at 64 kbps mono if you're not doing a music podcast (CD quality), or 128 kbps stereo if you're doing a music podcast. Some people use 96 (FM quality) if they have a mixture of both. With people being considerate of data packages and bandwidth, it seems like most people are going 64 mono, or 128 stereo.
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

CBR or VBR

Quote Originally Posted by podcastcoach View Post
    Always record at 44.1 wav file. Keep everything uncompressed as you assemble your episode. Then export at 64 kbps mono if you're not doing a music podcast (CD quality), or 128 kbps stereo if you're doing a music podcast. Some people use 96 (FM quality) if they have a mixture of both. With people being considerate of data packages and bandwidth, it seems like most people are going 64 mono, or 128 stereo.
    What do you think is best for an audio podcast that will go to itunes Constant or variable.

I would stay away from Variable. Not every player like variable. I know on one podcaster that I listened to used this, and for whatever reason I couldn't fast forward. I ended up unsubscribing.
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12