International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Closed Captioning Live?

Closed Captioning Live?

Does anyone do closed captioning during live broadcasts? If yes, how do you do it?

Telestream wrote an article about, "Closed Captioning: History and New Laws."

I'm surprised that Google hangouts haven't lead the way on this matter, especially with their (some times faulty) YouTube tech laying about.

BBC created a video explaining more information about closed captions or subtitles (here in the UK), through their slight cheesy BBC Careers videos on YouTube - which actually surprised me how they produce theirs:

Hope this helps
    Support Pixelated Projects today
    Pixelated Projects is a not-for-profit organisation set up to educate vulnerable children & young people about how to be safe and secure online. To create workshops and learning materials to demonstrate all forms of technology and how to use them.
    PixelatedProjects.org | Volunteer | Donate

Amazing video. Thanks.

You're welcome - doesn't help much on your quest though.

As part of Pixelated Projects, I'm too looking for this answer - to make content WAY more accessible. But for some reason, there doesn't seem to be a simple answer.
    Support Pixelated Projects today
    Pixelated Projects is a not-for-profit organisation set up to educate vulnerable children & young people about how to be safe and secure online. To create workshops and learning materials to demonstrate all forms of technology and how to use them.
    PixelatedProjects.org | Volunteer | Donate

I know what you mean. If I find something, I will let you know. If you find something, please let me know.

I kind of wish a variation of this could be used to do live subtitles for live productions:
    http://forum.ibroadcastnetwork.org/s...ght=translator

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    In the US, the government could mandate closed captioning for Internet broadcasters, like they've done for television. I don't know how captioning would work for a live show, but I can sure see its value for recorded podcasts. Sure, it would be a pain, but being deaf is not a walk in the park, either.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Live transcription will be the driving force behind closed captioning. I think we will see more and more podcasters start transcribing their entire podcasts
    you best get steppin

Live transcription is probably very expensive. It's a lot more involved than for VOD which doesn't need to be done in real time.
    Real time speech to text isn't very accurate at all. You'd need to pay a human to listen at source, type as fast as someone speaks, embed that into the live stream. I seriously doubt live CC will be mandated for most "small time" live streamers.

this seems like such a great idea!