International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: routing system audio through skype

routing system audio through skype

I have a problem that is is probably easily done with a mixer, but I can't afford one, especially with a podcast that doesn't bring any financial benefit to my wallet and was wondering if anyone can help. I've followed what has to be a dozen different tutorials trying to use Soundflower, Rogue Amoeba's Linein, OSX's aggregate audio devices, or any combination of them to route my system audio into Skype and into it's own track in Audacity. The goal is to be able to play audio into the show so the other hosts hear it, and to have it as its own track when we record as we double-end our recordings.

I have it working with Audacity using Soundflower and Aggregates in OSX, but Skype only hears my microphone. I think it's because Skype is only looking at the first channel or the first two channels. Is that right? Is there another free/inexpensive solution to get this to work? I do have an older Mac and a PC I could use to add to the audio chain if needed, I'm just not sure how to get it all working together.

Quote Originally Posted by docizzen View Post
    Too good to be true?

A mix minus, virtual cable, 2 mics, compressor, gate, effects, media channel. did I leave anything out.

I may be wrong, because I may have missed something. This looks like an excellent tool for starter audio podcasters. I've not downloaded it, but I will when I have some time to understand how it really works.

The interface is certainly simple enough.

The tutor does keep mentioning google voice, which screams "android" to me. This could be a limitation for many, especially if there are proprietary hooks to google.

It is just a matter of time for computer software mixers to be forefront, inexpensive and very competent. Computers can do practically any logical and repetitive processes when programmed correctly.

To be honest, I'm surprised analog mixers and other hardware tools for audio and video are still so prevalent. They are expensive and all have limitations in their features.

It appears to me, all we really need now is interface hardware items like mics and cameras, with whatever tools we need for supporting those interface tools. Software tools are faster, more intuitive and do as good or better job at what they do.

Couple months back I bought quite a few expensive hardware items (mixer,audio interface,etc) for podcasting. I bought a mixer just to do mix minus with skype and phone calls. I'm thinking seriously of putting ads on craigslist and selling those things. Just following this forums has been an eye-opener for sure.

Anyway, I appreciate the link, which tweaked my hot button.
    Last edited by domineaux; 06-07-2014 at 08:32 AM.

There are several really good tutorials on Voicemeter on YouTube. I do believe there's even a tutorial on using Skype with voicemeter. Also, if you download Voicemeter or their other amazing products. please make a small donation to the developer, as this will help keep their site up and enable them to further develop products like voicemeter. Clearly they make it an effort to keep their products inexpensive to the end user.

Quote Originally Posted by docizzen View Post
    There are several really good tutorials on Voicemeter on YouTube. I do believe there's even a tutorial on using Skype with voicemeter. Also, if you download Voicemeter or their other amazing products. please make a small donation to the developer, as this will help keep their site up and enable them to further develop products like voicemeter. Clearly they make it an effort to keep their products inexpensive to the end user.
    Downloaded now. I reserve to donate at this time, until I have a chance to work with it. Yes, I will make a reasonable donation for the software, if i can use it within my current studio setups.

A quick view of the pdf manual and it appears to have some good information for various ways to use the application.

Yes, I made a negative comment about hardware in previous posting. After thinking about it, an analog mixer still has application, especially for making switch changes at your inputs and your outputs. In other words, an analog mixer is still an excellent interface device that can help you work through many issues that may not be handled well or at all within the software. An interface that is also easy to understand and fixed by hardware switches... that does have value. Yes, the interface can be handled by software. I just don't think most software devs are that into the functional aspects of their software relevant to user needs. That applies to many types of software that have other professional uses as well.

Yes, I am optimist about this software. I appreciate the link to learn about it.

Do you know it there is information on using this with Boss Jock?

Will this work with OBS or other audio and/or video live streaming?
    Last edited by domineaux; 06-07-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks, I'll be checking this out. Though I was hoping for a Mac solution, I think I might be able to get this into our Skype setup. Google Hangouts will be more difficult since I use my Mac for that.

I think I finally got this working on OSX with JackOSX and Reaper instead of Audacity. I'm going to try and use this when I record tonight. Hopefully everything works!

[edit] Everything worked except for playing music from Youtube during the show. It worked fine in preshow though! That was annoying but we can add the song in later. One side benefit of this was learning to use Reaper. Looks much more powerful than Audacity and I was able to create tracks with all the audio from the call, just my audio, and just everyone else's audio. This eliminates my need to run something like Audio Hijack to record the call.
    Last edited by yakk0dotorg; 06-09-2014 at 07:22 AM.

While I realize this is the wave of the future, I still prefer the look and feel of analog outboard gear.
    My top-secret email address is: DanOrtego {at} gmail