International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Podcasters : Replacing Skype with a Telos Zip One

Podcasters : Replacing Skype with a Telos Zip One

This question is for people who are seriously doing audio podcasting. I have read many of you complain about Skype and all the other issues that come with using software for audio. Wouldn't something like a Telos Zip One fix the issue. Yes it will be a little pricey to have two of these for you and your cohost but wouldn't you get much better results ?

Telos Alliance /Audio Expert

Skype vs. Telos Z/IP ONE for IP audio

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSaunders View Post
    This question is for people who are seriously doing audio podcasting. I have read many of you complain about Skype and all the other issues that come with using software for audio. Wouldn't something like a Telos Zip One fix the issue. Yes it will be a little pricey to have two of these for you and your cohost but wouldn't you get much better results ?
    Paul, if you're looking for audio-only, then a Telos Z/IP ONE can work well for this purpose. For the remote co-host or guest, the Z/IP ONE's XLR inputs can accommodate MIC or LINE levels, and supply phantom power for condenser mics. The front-panel headphone jack can monitor Receive Audio (what you would normally do) or Send Audio (but not a mix of both at this time - yet).

There may be some advantages over Skype. Perhaps lower latency from end-to-end. Contact closures may be sent bi-directionally for signally, start of show, or EOM (end of message). Another advantage is better audio codecs; the Z/IP ONE supports much of the AAC family of codecs, including AAC-ELD for great quality at low bit rates (64 kbps) through AAC and AAC-LD at bit rates up to 320 kbps. Linear audio is also supported if you have the bandwidth - (1.5 to 2.4 Mbps, depending on settings).

Of course, if video is needed, then one would need to use Skype, as the Z/IP ONE is audio only.

Best,

Kirk Harnack
    VP - Telos Systems

Kirk please excuse the dumb question im about to ask but why would a station opt to use a hardware solution over a software solution? I would imagine it comes down to stability of hardware vs Software

Thanks

Hardware vs. Software?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdelfresco View Post
    Kirk please excuse the dumb question im about to ask but why would a station opt to use a hardware solution over a software solution? I would imagine it comes down to stability of hardware vs Software

Thanks
    James, it's actually THE question!! Thanks for asking it.

Some folks are very comfortable with software solutions, and if they're working for you, then there's no reason to change. At Telos we've talked with many engineers and end users who have persistent problems in setting up software solutions, dealing with software firewalls, and figuring out why something or other is not working. PC-savvy people can sort through such things. OTOH, some folks really prefer to use an appliance that, for the most part, just works. Perhaps they also want professional XLR connectors or some other features that don't fit the footprint of a laptop.

There are good reasons to use either software-only or hardware solutions. Telos and our sister companies respond with products that make sense for the majority of broadcasters - which intersects with some podcasters, too.

We even ran an ad for our Internet streaming solutions, Omnia A/XE (software) and Telos ProSTREAM (hardware), which asked the question, "Which is better, software or hardware?" Of course, which is better is which one you prefer as an end user. Sometimes we can give you more power and performance in a piece of hardware, but sometimes we can do better running software on a big, beefy server platform.

This is a question - and answer - that will remain with end-users for some time to come.

Best,

Kirk

Kirk thank you so much for this detailed post. I along with my co-host have been contemplating if we should go to a hardware solution. We have been considering the Telos Zip One since we only do audio for our conversations. The Goal is to make it seem like he is in the studio with me. Skype is great but not there yet. From the homework that I have done It seems like the Zip One would be the solution for us.

BTW. Discovered TWiRT a few months ago. love the topics and discussions. Im still a noob but learning
    you best get steppin

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmartz View Post
    Kirk thank you so much for this detailed post. I along with my co-host have been contemplating if we should go to a hardware solution. We have been considering the Telos Zip One since we only do audio for our conversations. The Goal is to make it seem like he is in the studio with me. Skype is great but not there yet. From the homework that I have done It seems like the Zip One would be the solution for us.

BTW. Discovered TWiRT a few months ago. love the topics and discussions. Im still a noob but learning
    Thanks for the kind words about TWiRT!

If there's a subject you'd like to hear us cover, please let me know.

Best,

Kirk

I would love to hear about equipment for people transitioning from hobby to somewhat pro. I know Andrew has been utilizing a lot of the hardware from Telos. I would like to know more about how other Podcasters can start moving over to better equipment. What should we consider... What should we stay away from

Movin' on up for Podcasters...

Quote Originally Posted by TommySulivan View Post
    I would love to hear about equipment for people transitioning from hobby to somewhat pro. I know Andrew has been utilizing a lot of the hardware from Telos. I would like to know more about how other Podcasters can start moving over to better equipment. What should we consider... What should we stay away from
    Tommy, in addition to Andrew Zarian, who do you think would make a good guest for this subject?

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by kharnack View Post
    Tommy, in addition to Andrew Zarian, who do you think would make a good guest for this subject?

Kirk
    I actually would like to hear from you about this topic. I would like to know more about gear that can benefit the small time internet broadcaster.