International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Boss Jock best choices of file storage for fast access

Arrow Boss Jock best choices of file storage for fast access

I watched a very good presentation from Ortega using the Boss Jock app for iphone/ipad. Good news for podcasters that are interested to do work remotely or out of the studio. Also, this appears to be a serious app as well.

Since I'm not a big techie user of iphone and ipad I would like to read how other Boss Jock podcasters are handling their files and such, for fast remote wi-fi type access.

There may be a document or video that explains it well enough. My concern is a best repository for your "Boss jock content snippets" that are easily and quickly accessible during wi-fi type of remote broadcasts.
    I've read about several, and my experience with some have not been very satisfactory. I'm not saying they are bad services. I may not have configured them or signed up for the plan as I should for best service. They all seem to work well over my fast internet service over ethernet.

Doing video/audio podcasts remotely is on the front burner for me at this time. Working from a Starbucks patio, hotel lobby, restaurant, shopping mall, McDonalds, or other WiFi hotspot is where my head is on this.

I watched the following video pretty carefully, which I found to be pretty good explanation.

HOWEVER, the biggest consideration about the Samson Go-Mic to me is "condenser" mic.
    Background noise is a problem with remote recordings, and condenser mics just don't fill the bill unless Samson has done something technie new. Samson has released another Go-mic-direct which addresses background noise with a software solution as best I can tell. I'm not sure a software solution will really work and fit well with Boss Jock in the foreground. There don't seem to be any exit ports on the go-mic-direct either. I'm guessing you would use the input/output audio ports of the ipad or iphone.

Remote equipment would best be small and lightweight hardware as possible, for travel and conservation of luggage space.
    A very small competent dynamic mic is probably best solution. I've just started working on this so I've not had much time to research "tiny mic" solutions. The mic in the Logitech 920-stinks so it's not an option.

Lugging around the ATR2100 with a stand is really not very compact, but is a good audio solution. It would be abit too conspicuous in the types of remote locations I mentioned above. Also, I'm not sure the battery in the ipad and certainly not the iphone would allow sufficient air time.

Forgot to mention power supply requirements relating to using the ipad or iphone with camera (usb) connector. As I recall there are some power supply issues with different versions of ipads, but I'm not sure what that would mean.

Ray Ortega using ATR2100 with usb power from mic including mic and headset in mic. Also driving audio to recorder from ipad it appears to me.

How charged does the ipad have to be for what length of show?

Then if you are using iphone the question is the same?

If you have to have more power is a powered usb hub an option?

I'm thinking there may be a best way to use a powered usb hub to get longer life out of the ipad or iphone battery.
    That does the defeat the purpose of podcasting remote where you don't have access to power, but it might be a help in a location where you can plug into power outlet.

This may have been answered somewhere, because it is such a basic consideration.

Is this just an "in a pinch" kind of broadcast or is it good for a 30 minute show, etc.?

Using a Webcam like the logitech c920, an ATR2100, an ipad or iphone at the same time might be worth some discussion as well.

If you use a USB mic, can you run it through a powered hub and plug the hub into the iPad?

Quote Originally Posted by yakk0dotorg View Post
    If you use a USB mic, can you run it through a powered hub and plug the hub into the iPad?
    I was thinking you could do this. You take the wire out the back of the hub that normally goes to the computer and plug it into the ipad, and then use one port of the hub to the usb mic.

Here is a video I found that explains it better.

I would think the usb power required by the keyboard in this situation would be higher than an ATR2100 mic.

The next question is, where do you find a decent quality USB Hub these days. Most of the ones that I've seen have poor customer reviews and they seldom work as advertised. Granted, I haven't purchased one in a long time so maybe I'm wrong.
    My top-secret email address is: DanOrtego {at} gmail

I recently got this USB2 hub from Amazon and have had good experiences with it.

Mary Jo Foley also recommended this one on a recent Windows Weekly. It is USB3 and includes an ethernet port. I kinda wish I had that one instead.