International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody use Libsyn?

Quote Originally Posted by podcastcoach View Post
    The problem with free, is its not a very good business model. In the last 10 years I've seen NUMEROUS companies try the free model. I've tried it at the grocery store. It didn't work. I tried it at the gas station. It didn't work. It turns out that companies that stay in business, provide good service, and good support, need to charge for it. Case in point, I've tried three different skype recording software. In doing less than 10 episodes with each, they all had errors and ate the interview. Thankfully they were tests.
    Paying for things that you can get for free or just do yourself IS the bad business model.

Your skype point is a great example of that. If I want to record a Skype call I’m not going to spend money on a new program (and add one more step, and point of failure, to my workflow), I’m just going to use the mixer and DAW I already have.

As for libsyn it would a waist of money for me to pay them 20+ bucks a month for “media transcoding.” I can do that myself for free.

Also, I don’t sugest using whatever free “solution” you can find, that’s pretty silly. I’m talking about using stuff like Google Analytics. Sure it’s free and you have to do a little extra work to track podcasts, but it is legit. Fortune 500 companies use it.

I’m pretty hands on though. I like to know how everything works and have as much control over it as I can. Libsyn is just not for me. It would be a great solution somebody that just wants to focus on the creative side and not worry about the technical side, or just doesn’t have the time to be as hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by domineaux View Post
    You have made one posting here. You are in the right place I suggest. The starter post for this thread has a pretty good explanation, and there are other sites you can pretty easily research and learn what you need.

You can rent alot of server space nowadays for $20 per month, so I can understand reluctance.

When you get into podcasting and use jingles and other promotional things during broadcasts the services are alot of help.
    They are always up, and their downloads are seamless. That helps alot, especially when you are live.

Be patient, you should get some good information on your podcasting on these forums.
    Make that 3 posts! Woot! Chugging right along…

I use is squarespace. It makes the most sense for me.
    They don’t actively market to podcasters but it’s nearly perfect IMHO.
    For 20 bucks a month (less if you commit to a year) you can get unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, and no monthly upload caps like libsyn has.
    The only limit is a file size of 160MB per podcast. Which is honestly plenty of room. If you need more you can use dropbox or google drive.
    They provide stats and the make it super easy to plug in Google analytics. On top of that you a fully fleshed-out WYSIWYG website editor. With a bunch of legit web 2.0ish templates.

1. it would be interesting to read a review of your experience with the squarespace. Other members may be intersted as well.

2. it would be important to know just how well it integrates and works on your website.

3. it would interesting to know how well all the linking with feedburner, itunes, etc were facilitated

4. it would be interesting to know how responsive the server is when you are live broadcast

I am not knocking it by any means. I am intersted to know.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by James Hickman View Post
    Make that 3 posts! Woot! Chugging right along…

I use is squarespace. It makes the most sense for me.
    They don’t actively market to podcasters but it’s nearly perfect IMHO.
    For 20 bucks a month (less if you commit to a year) you can get unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, and no monthly upload caps like libsyn has.
    The only limit is a file size of 160MB per podcast. Which is honestly plenty of room. If you need more you can use dropbox or google drive.
    They provide stats and the make it super easy to plug in Google analytics. On top of that you a fully fleshed-out WYSIWYG website editor. With a bunch of legit web 2.0ish templates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12