International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Stories about making money podcasting

Stories about making money podcasting

I almost never get upset about BS stories written about the Podcasting world but what seems to be the trend lately is people claiming they are making $XXX,XXX from Podcasting when in reality they are making it from other income sources.

Here is an example of misinformation : BTW I would like to say Im a fan of Daves podcast but hate seeing people get mislead into thinking "You can make millions by podcasting"

"Today in episode 402 we interview Jordan Harbinger who is the co-creator of the Art of Charm podcast. Jordan has used his podcast to build a seven figure podcast."

This guy Jordan is not making 6 figures from Podcasting.. He is making it from training socially inept men how to talk to a women. His podcast is just something he uses to market is service

Link: http://schoolofpodcasting.com/jordan...ampaign=buffer
    Last edited by PaulSaunders; 05-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Paul
    Point taken (I might mention this on my show this week). I don't think anyone is making a living from their actual mp3 files. What IS making them money is the relationship, trust, and niche (I am like and trusted in the music industry, but don't make a dime) that they develop over time with their audience. My podcast is free, but I promote my membership site and courses. My other podcast is free, but I promote affiliate products that I use and believe in. I also think I do a good job of pointing out that these people are not the norm. They do exist. We probably need two hands to count the people who have quit their day job to do full time podcasting. Jou Mangello (the kind of the Disney podcast) promotes books, etc about the parks. He also was a lawyer (my interview with Lou back in 2012).

I was thinking about this today. We are starting to look at our podcasts as businessess. There are people BUYING iTunes reviews and the common answer to this is "its kinda of shady, but it is a business." "It's just business" is a phrase I hope we can keep out of podcasting.

"Dave I like you. I think you're a nice guy, and I'm sorry my actions had a negative effect on you. It's nothing personal, it's just business.

Just to be clear, the BS part is that he's not making six figures selling his downloads?
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSaunders View Post
    "Today in episode 402 we interview Jordan Harbinger who is the co-creator of the Art of Charm podcast. Jordan has used his podcast to build a seven figure podcast."

This guy Jordan is not making 6 figures from Podcasting.. He is making it from training socially inept men how to talk to a women. His podcast is just something he uses to market is service

Link: http://schoolofpodcasting.com/jordan...ampaign=buffer
    Paul, it's worse than you thought. The articles says SEVEN figures, not six. That means that he's making over $20,000 per episode.

Quote Originally Posted by podcastcoach View Post
    Just to be clear, the BS part is that he's not making six figures selling his downloads?
    I would call BS on his making SEVEN (or even SIX) figures selling his podcast downloads.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

It should've been "Today in episode 402 we interview Jordan Harbinger who is the co-creator of the Art of Charm podcast. Jordan has used his podcast to build a seven figure busines."
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    While there is no way to verify the claim, it has a greater chance of being accurate.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I don't have an issue with him claiming 7 figures a year,my issue is with the the article alluding that podcasting is the reason why he is making money. Him doing a podcast has the same significance to his business as him having a phone or taking an ad out in google.

Dave I personally enjoy your podcast and think you provide decent information to the podcasting world. I just have an issue with this trend recently with many podcasting coaches that are claiming so and so is making x amount podcasting when in reality its not the podcast thats making the money but his other business.

There are plenty of Podcasters making a living doing a podcast and not using it as a marketing tool for a business. Look at people like Leo Laporte, Tom Merritt Brian Brushwood, Andrew Zarian, Cali Lewis... The list goes on and on
    These are not main stream celebrities and they are making a living podcasting.