International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Rumor] YouTube to buy Twitch.tv for 1 Billion

Quote Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
    I believe there's common backend infrastructure. If that's the case if one is sold the other dies, I'd think.
    Yes, it depends on how they have it setup. But if Google buys it, I think they would add more resources anyway as Justin.tv was having a more difficult time supporting such a large site. So maybe this won't be hard to seperate the two sites.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

If Twitch is sold and that's all that YouTube wants, I don't see any business model that keeps JustinTV in business. Justin Kan owns JustinTV/Twitch even though Twitch is a "spinoff"

Google, based on their history, tends to consolidate. If you remember back, there were separate Google and YouTube video services. The Google one was abandoned and people were given the opportunity to move their content to YouTube.

Twitch becomes a gaming portion within YouTube I think, not simply a separate entity owned by Google.

JustinTV is simply absorbed into YouTube life (people told to create YouTube channels) or dies. I just don't see it going any other way.

While paid services have many ways to differentiate themselves, I think we're going to continue to see a consolidation of "free" services. They're just not that profitable.

From what I remember before Twitch got create JTV was struggling big time. JTV has no value when you compare it to Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    From what I remember before Twitch got create JTV was struggling big time. JTV has no value when you compare it to Twitch
    Exactly. That's why I think JTV is pretty much gone.

Quote Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
    If Twitch is sold and that's all that YouTube wants, I don't see any business model that keeps JustinTV in business. Justin Kan owns JustinTV/Twitch even though Twitch is a "spinoff"

Google, based on their history, tends to consolidate. If you remember back, there were separate Google and YouTube video services. The Google one was abandoned and people were given the opportunity to move their content to YouTube.

Twitch becomes a gaming portion within YouTube I think, not simply a separate entity owned by Google.

JustinTV is simply absorbed into YouTube life (people told to create YouTube channels) or dies. I just don't see it going any other way.

While paid services have many ways to differentiate themselves, I think we're going to continue to see a consolidation of "free" services. They're just not that profitable.
    I think we have a few distinctions. Youtube was an already established, more popular video site. So it was natural Google video to integrate into Youtube. Twitch is already a powerhouse in its own right, even though its based on streaming rather then prerecorded video.

If gamers were really interested in the kind of streaming Youtube has to offer they would of flocked there instead. I think it would be a grave mistake for them to try to integrate them into Youtube in its current state. It would have to make drastic changes to youtube or a different Youtube like channel for Twitch to gain acceptance by gamers to go there.

For right now i would see Twitch in its current format as a separate site, but perhaps with Youtube branding. Or it could do it seamlessly where it seems Twitch is is a part of Youtube but it links it to its separate website.

The biggest strength for Twitch is not the website, but its gamers. If you alienate the gamers too much, there is no Twitch, they will find other alternatives, even perhaps going back to Justin.tv.
    Last edited by Linuxcooldude; 05-21-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

As I predicted, JustinTV is gone.
    http://www.justin.tv

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12