International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: LiveStreaming2014

LiveStreaming2014

I have been reading through this main topic - live broadcasting (streaming)

I noticed several members mentioned live streaming to as many as 4 live stream accounts. I guess this requires a software that can manage the linking. The GFQnetwork.com has 4 live stream accounts accessible from the website and they all seem to be simultaneously playing. Users click on the account they want to use and there doesn't seem to be a requirement for them to register or sign up to view the videos.

I'm not thinking of doing that, but I would like to live stream one account and send recorded shows to various video accounts. It would appear that each of those livestream services allows embedding of videos as well.

Ads seem to be pretty well set in stone, or maybe that is with free accounts.

I appreciated to read the various postings in this topic, especially the discussions about the various livestream service companies, how they work and what you need to think about when using their services.

We have a pretty beefy i7 machine that handles the encoding for the live stream. We are currently pushing out to 4 CDNs and could probably add another one if we needed to.

question : Is there a reason you want to add a live stream dedicated to replays. We replay our broadcasts also but not on a different stream.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    We have a pretty beefy i7 machine that handles the encoding for the live stream. We are currently pushing out to 4 CDNs and could probably add another one if we needed to.

question : Is there a reason you want to add a live stream dedicated to replays. We replay our broadcasts also but not on a different stream.
    I wasn't thinking of replays being handled through live stream accounts. I thought live stream accounts would not want to be a repository of the videos for very long. When the event is finished I was thinking I would need to send videos to sites, like vimeo, youtube and others that don't charge for memory storage and allow embed of the video files.

The reason we stream to multiple CDNs is so that if one goes down, or one is not working right for a viewer, they can switch to another. It also gets "drive by viewing" to maybe become regular viewers :-) (The 24x7 replays only go to 3 though).
    Very simple to do if you use WireCast and have the bandwidth.

I o not do live broadcasting yet but I dont know if the 24x7 model is worth doing. Doesnt it take a way from actual downloads for your podcast if you are replaying your show over and over again

Quote Originally Posted by TommySulivan View Post
    I o not do live broadcasting yet but I dont know if the 24x7 model is worth doing. Doesnt it take a way from actual downloads for your podcast if you are replaying your show over and over again
    It may, but then, so what? :-) I think each show will play in the 24x7 maybe twice, since we run a month's worth of all the different shows we do here.

I think it depends on what you are looking to do. If you care about every download then you will lose numbers. Places like TWiT and GFQ replay all the time.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Les Moonves at CBS said that numbers don't matter any more. That's why they hired the new guy to replace Leno. In reality, the nighttime numbers are in the toilet, so Les is trying to avoid the inevitable: Live by the numbers, die by the numbers.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.