International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you chose something other than Wirecast....

Hybrid View

Question If you chose something other than Wirecast....

If you chose something other than Wirecast....
    Whether it's VidBlaster, vMix. Livestream Studio, xSplit, etc.
    I'm curious why

Also if you are a Wirecast 4 user I'd be curious to know why you haven't upgraded to 5?

What did you purchase and why.
    Was it price?
    Was there a specific feature you wanted (please detail)?

This doesn't exactly fit my situation but I thought I'd share my experience...

I did end up with Wirecast however I came within, literally, hours of choosing vMix.

My primary reasons for initially choosing vMix were, one I liked the developer. He seems genuinely interested in his customer base and providing features that they request. Two I found the workflow very easy to pick up. Three, in my initial experience with Wirecast I as unable to get 3 USB cameras to work simultaneously. Lastly price to value... vMix had for the features I wanted a lower price point.

So what changed... WireCast v5 was introduced and had a cheap introductory price that I couldn't pass up and stepped up some of the features I thought I might need. Wirecast also seemed to have a more active community which for a noob like me was important.

In the end I would probably have been just as happy with vMix and with the new Social module and other potential features I may live to semi-regret my decision Note I said semi as I always seem to have some kind of buyers remorse when it comes to tech...as there always seems to be some other new shiny object on the horizon...

My 2c...

Interesting story. So it seems price was a factor as well as community and the Social module is one feature you might miss. Thanks for that.

I was a Vidblaster user for a few years and I finally saw the light to come to wirecast. The reason why I was using Vidblaster was due to its easy to understand interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    I was a Vidblaster user for a few years and I finally saw the light to come to wirecast. The reason why I was using Vidblaster was due to its easy to understand interface.
    What factors caused you to switch given how you felt about VB's interface?

AlBurr said
    So what changed... WireCast v5 was introduced and had a cheap introductory price that I couldn't pass up and stepped up some of the features I thought I might need. Wirecast also seemed to have a more active community which for a noob like me was important.
    Checked out the wirecast site, and $500 isn't a cheap introductory price. Maybe, I missed something?

I'm Just starting with live streaming. I am not sure I want to keep pouring money at livestream hardware, and software tools for something that I may not be interested to continue to do.

Currently, after alot of research I am thinking more about doing audio podcasting.

I have bought quite a nice setup for video including capture cards, cameras, lighting, mixer, microphones, headsets, furniture, etc. setting up for live streaming. I have quite abit invested and thought I should at least give it a go after spending all the time, energy and money to do live streaming.

One big hurdle at this time is a PC solution to chromakey for live streaming. I have most of the chromakey things I need, except everything I have purchased works with post production editing *not live streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by domineaux View Post
    Checked out the wirecast site, and $500 isn't a cheap introductory price. Maybe, I missed something?
    Wirecast Play for YouTube is free. Producer (Wirecast) for Ustream is free. The paid versions for both CDNs are also heavily discounted.
    Telestream is often running discounts for Wirecast. You just have to watch for them.
    Wirecast Studio (paid version) does chromakeying, It's a built in feature.

Last edited by cseeman; 04-25-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Hmmm

Best way to buy Wirecast. I am not sure I want to buy a wirecast proprietary version that works with youtube or ustream only. I think , it would be best if I had a wirecast studio version that would work with many streaming providers.

I mean the studio versions are still $200 and they appear to be dedicated to the streaming service. I would want studio version, because I need chromakey.

I should probably just hold off and wait for wirecast discount sale or something. I can do the testing I need to do with the dedicated free versions for a while.

You can use the Wirecast Studio trial version. All the features work although it's watermarked (video and audio).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast