International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Doing a Podcast on your own with no Cohost

Doing a Podcast on your own with no Cohost

Anyone out there do a podcast without any cohosts or callers? What are come challenges that you face?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSaunders View Post
    Anyone out there do a podcast without any cohosts or callers? What are come challenges that you face?
    It can be both fun and intimidating. I haven't done a co-host-less show in a while, but you have to be good at making sure you are talking to the audience. Phone callers help, but be prepared, make sure you know the ins and outs of what you're talking about and that you are quick on your feet. I know a few sports hosts that do this well.

It can give you a chance to connect with your audience in a way that having a co-host doesn't... Sometimes when you have someone else in studio you can lean towards audience exclusion where the jokes are inside, the back and forth is tailored to each other and leaves the audience feeling as if they are at a restaurant just listening in to someone else's conversation. Sometimes that can be fun, but you really have to focus doing it alone and the reward can be great.

Great question Paul...Once I get started I will likely be in the solo camp for awhile for my "monocast"...

IAIB Broadcaster
    Having a live chatroom can add that "extra man" to the show as you respond to comments and questions. Plus you can meet a lot of nice folks.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    I thought about doing a one-man podcast, but even I am not interested in what I have to say, so I'm sure others are not, either.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I do. I'm just getting things started. I attemped to have a co-host but my friend didn't want to do it. Going forward I plan to have guests, unforunatley I am not set up to take calls. I am a huge fan of talk radio and decided to try this as a new hobby. Material seems to be a challenge for me it usually takes me a while to have enough to talk about. Feel free to check it out. http://www.memyselfandiradio.com

Nice one Alburr: Monocast©

TomSinclair: I agree. It makes it more fun for listeners because they become participants. It also shows that you value your audience.

mcphillips: Come on, you coined the term, "audio is not important." (He really means, audio is extremely important) Do it!

Speaking of audio: Gareth Edwards has said that audio is more important than visuals.
    Go to the 2 minute mark:

I do a show pretty much solo for three hours but the chat room can be an extra man and so can callers. If we have no calls it legitimately is 3 hrs of me talking lol. It forces me to be funny and engaging for a long period of time which when keeping someone's attention for a long as I broadcast is key.
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

Monocasting.. I like that !

I tried to do a solo show once when my co host went off to bigger and better things and I was having trouble finding a replacement. I think I made it two episodes before I just gave up. It's harder than you would think. I find having a co host allows you to bounce topics off the other person and keep the show interesting. It can also create conflict when you disagree with each other which is entertaining all in itself. I guess if I had a bigger audience I could have done call ins and got the same effect. In any case I found it frustrating and gave up. I have mad respect for anyone that can do it solo, that takes real talent.