International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: compare both behringer mixer XENYX X1222USB and XENYX X2442USB

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    79
    Another thing that the 2442 provides is the direct outs for channels 1 - 8, which can come in very handy.
    Richard Wildman
    Executive Producer / Host
    Music Scene Investigation
    http://musicsceneinvestigation.com

  2. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by rwildman View Post
    Another thing that the 2442 provides is the direct outs for channels 1 - 8, which can come in very handy.
    Can you give some examples?

  3. #13
    IAIB Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    277
    How does the function of the 8 subgroup outputs compare with the function of the 4 Aux Sends? Newbie question.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by MovieBuff View Post
    Can you give some examples?
    Sure.
    In one of the cases where I use the direct output capability of the 2442, there are certain things that, while, during a live broadcast, I like to hear them all the time, I only want my guests to hear them some of the time and do not necessarily want the audience to hear them at all.

    In that case, I run the audio into a channel of the 2442, through which I hear it all of the time, or any time I have the levels up. I then take the direct out of that channel and run it into another channel, which is sent to the Aux and not to either of the subs or main. This allows me to hear the item on one channel, my guests, via mix-minus, on the Aux, on another channel and the audience, either never, or only when I route the channel I hear to one of the subs, or main, which ever the proper case is.

    Clear as mud, right? Trust me, it comes in handy for my purposes. Maybe, a video of how this works would be interesting? If so, I could try to find time to create one.
    Last edited by rwildman; 05-04-2014 at 07:27 PM.
    Richard Wildman
    Executive Producer / Host
    Music Scene Investigation
    http://musicsceneinvestigation.com

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    79
    I use the sub groups to separate audio inputs, all of which eventually go to air. During my typical broadcast sessions, I like to talk to guests prior to actually going to air, but while using the board to route items to air, much like any normal radio station would. I run microphones to sub-group 1-2 (left-right respectively) and can send that to air, or not, at the press of two buttons (sub-group buttons). I can have off-air conversations with guests, while other things are going to air, when sub-groups 1-2 are off, and route to air when they are on. The same goes for other items routed to other sub-groups. At least, that is the way I am currently using them. I'm sure that others can think of other ways to use them too.

    The Aux I only use for mix-minus, or in special cases FX, though others might.
    Richard Wildman
    Executive Producer / Host
    Music Scene Investigation
    http://musicsceneinvestigation.com

  6. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by rwildman View Post
    I use the sub groups to separate audio inputs, all of which eventually go to air. During my typical broadcast sessions, I like to talk to guests prior to actually going to air, but while using the board to route items to air, much like any normal radio station would. I run microphones to sub-group 1-2 (left-right respectively) and can send that to air, or not, at the press of two buttons (sub-group buttons). I can have off-air conversations with guests, while other things are going to air, when sub-groups 1-2 are off, and route to air when they are on. The same goes for other items routed to other sub-groups. At least, that is the way I am currently using them. I'm sure that others can think of other ways to use them too.

    The Aux I only use for mix-minus, or in special cases FX, though others might.
    Fascinating!
    Do you use more than 4 mics normally? Do you have videos or photos of your setup.
    I found a pretty good deal for a Behringer X2222 USB Mixer Audio Interface, so this is really interesting (different mixer from the 2442).
    Last edited by MovieBuff; 05-04-2014 at 08:20 PM.

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    79
    I use one mic locally and 3 inputs from Skype machines. I've used the 2442, in both its USB and non-USB form, for the past 7 years. It has been a work horse.

    Here is a link to a pic of my setup (on Google Plus) that was posted prior to my last studio rebuild. I do studio rebuilds about once a year, to keep me sane and clean everything.

    I should note that you can't see the whole of the setup from this picture. There are 4 additional systems that are not in the picture. These are used for Skype and audio playback. In addition to that, there are other systems for audio broadcast, storage and backup.
    Last edited by rwildman; 05-04-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    Richard Wildman
    Executive Producer / Host
    Music Scene Investigation
    http://musicsceneinvestigation.com

  8. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by rwildman View Post
    I use one mic locally and 3 inputs from Skype machines. I've used the 2442, in both its USB and non-USB form, for the past 7 years. It has been a work horse.

    Here is a link to a pic of my setup (on Google Plus) that was posted prior to my last studio rebuild. I do studio rebuilds about once a year, to keep me sane and clean everything.

    I should note that you can't see the whole of the setup from this picture. There are 4 additional systems that are not in the picture. These are used for Skype and audio playback. In addition to that, there are other systems for audio broadcast, storage and backup.
    When using the USB output, can you record each channel individually through Adobe Audition or any other software program?

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    79
    The USB output of the mixer is the same as that of the Main outputs. In other words you cannot do what you are asking, if I read your question correctly. To do something like that you would likely have to go with, at minimum, one of the Presonus StudioLive mixers. I'm sure there are others as well, but mention the Presonus StudioLive as a start-in price point, which is over twice that of the 2442.
    Richard Wildman
    Executive Producer / Host
    Music Scene Investigation
    http://musicsceneinvestigation.com

  10. #20
    Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    599
    If you want to record one channel per track, take a look at the Behringer X32. It allows you to do so over USB. I still don't have any information as to how or whether Skype can see those channels. The StudioLive mixers are Firewire, so they're great for recording, but Skype doesn't like Firewire.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
International Association of Internet Broadcasters All Rights Reserved.
Follow Us