International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the differences between both DBX 286s & Behringer MDX4600 ? I want to know !

Question What are the differences between both DBX 286s & Behringer MDX4600 ? I want to know !

Hello everyone,
    Please for my own information as I am really would like to understand.
    What are the differences in between for both of:-
    1 - DBX 286s.
    2 - Behringer MDX4600.
    • I hope if someone may compare advantages for both of them as long as disadvantages for both.
    • Which situation it is better or advised to use one of them over another?
    • Is it possible to use both of them in the same setup? and in case it is possible what would be the best setup or workflow?
    • If there is anything important about both of them should be known about any of them that would be awesome.

Thanks a lot

Note:- Please notice that I am new to podcast and audio world in general s please make technical things easier as possible.
    Mohamed GadAllah
    EGYPT-Cairo

Gentle reminder.
    Mohamed GadAllah
    EGYPT-Cairo

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    I answered this question for you somewhere.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    I answered this question for you somewhere.
    Thanks for replying my friend
    It seems that I've missed it because I've recheck all my threads and posts and can not find it or you mean somewhere else? not in this forum ?
    I hope you do remember
    Mohamed GadAllah
    EGYPT-Cairo

It's right here.

It's right here.
    Exactly ... I really forget about this one from you.
    You were right when you said using forums and social networks are better then personal conversations ... I confirm your point now
    But regarding connecting the hardware I've my friend, how can I do so?
    Thanks
    Mohamed GadAllah
    EGYPT-Cairo

I hope that you may tell me how to connect them?
    Mohamed GadAllah
    EGYPT-Cairo

Connect the mic by XLR to the input of the 286s. Connect the output of the 286s using a TRS 1/4" cable to TRS 1/4" cable to the line input on the mixer.

For the 4600, come out of the main output of the mixer to the left and right inputs of the 4600. Come out of the 4600 to the recorder or computer input.

You need to go through the manuals several times. There are some connection diagrams in those. They go into great detail.

I don't use the MDX4600, so I really can't help you beyond what I just said.

For the 4600, come out of the main output of the mixer to the left and right inputs of the 4600. Come out of the 4600 to the recorder or computer input.
    when you mentioned come out to the recorder or computer, you mean using the mixer usb output to computer?
    I may borrow the zoom H4N from my friend.
    Mohamed GadAllah
    EGYPT-Cairo

No, that's not what I mean. All of the inputs I mentioned are analog inputs and outputs. USB is digital.

You have two options for connecting the 4600.

METHOD 1: Connect a cable from either the "Tape Outs" RCA jacks on the top panel or the "Main Outputs" XLR outputs on the rear panel to the input jacks on the MDX 4600. Connect the output jacks on the MDX 4600 to the input jacks on the external recorder or to the analog sound card inputs on the computer. You don't need an external recorder.

METHOD 2: A second way to use the MDX 4600 is to connect the jacks of the ALT 3-4 outputs on the rear of the mixer to the input jacks on the MDX 4600. Connect the ouput jacks of the MDX 4600 to a line input on the mixer, such as Line 7-8. You must then press the ALT 3-4 mix on each channel that you want to go through the compressor. The signal going through the compressor will come back into the Main Mix through Channel 7-8. The benefit of this method is that you can hear the output of the MDX 4600 in your headphones. Method 1 does not allow you to do that. The disadvantage of this method is that it is more complicated.

Both of these methods are covered in the manual. As far as I know, I have described the process as clearly as I know how to describe it. Therefore, I have said all that I can say. Read the manually carefully - multiple times - and then figure it out. It's not that hard.

All that being said, I don't like or use the MDX 4600. The Behringer mixer has compressors built into channels one through four. If you want to mess up your audio with a compressor, why not just use those and save money?

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast