International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Best way to protect our podcast - Get insurance?

Lightbulb Best way to protect our podcast - Get insurance?

I was reading another thread here on the IAIB Forum and the Adam Carolla situation was being discussed. Spencer brought up an interesting point to how we can protect our self along with our podcast.

Here is what spencer said :
    "First of all, how is it that Adam Carolla wasn't advised to purchase intellectual property insurance, including patent infringement protection(covering a patent infringement complaint against him or his company)?"

Is this the way we can protect our butts? If we are serious podcasters (not doing it for hobby but doing it for a job) should we all be looking into insurance to protect us from patent trolls along with everything else that could go wrong?
    Last edited by Podnutter; 03-13-2014 at 08:02 AM.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Podnutter View Post
    I was reading another thread here on the IAIB Forum and the Adam Carolla situation was being discussed. Spencer brought up an interesting point to how we can protect our self along with our podcast.

Here is what spencer said :
    "First of all, how is it that Adam Carolla wasn't advised to purchase intellectual property insurance, including patent infringement protection(covering a patent infringement complaint against him or his company)?"

Is this the way we can protect our butts? If we are serious podcasters (not doing it for hobby but doing it for a job) should we all be looking into insurance to protect us from patent trolls along with everything else that could go wrong?
    Being insured only protects you financially in case you need to hire counsel for a legal defense and potentially forced to pay a judgment(personal), it doesn’t change the fact that someone might have a legitimate case against you.

Just to be clear: I’m not and attorney nor do I play one on the internet. It’s always best to seek legal advice from a qualified professional.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    You could go to law school. That way, you don't have to pay a lawyer to represent you. You can do it yourself.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    You could go to law school. That way, you don't have to pay a lawyer to represent you. You can do it yourself.
    Sadly Mike, in my experience, even when you have to hire an attorney you end up doing all the work yourself...If you don't, you're in trouble. No offense, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Kobren View Post
    Sadly Mike, in my experience, even when you have to hire an attorney you end up doing all the work yourself...If you don't, you're in trouble. No offense, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case with you.
    Right, but at least you don't have to pay the lawyer to do the work you're going to do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    Right, but at least you don't have to pay the lawyer to do the work you're going to do anyway.
    Can I do it online?

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Kobren View Post
    Can I do it online?
    Joe de Max can make you a law license. He made himself one. I saw it.