International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW ROKU: Roku announces new HDMI Streaming Stick (April)

NEW ROKU: Roku announces new HDMI Streaming Stick (April)

In the battle for the living room, the launch of Google's Chromecast further fragmented the market with another new means of content delivery. A variety of alternatives have since been launched, including a new offering from Roku. The company says the HDMI Streaming Stick will provide more TV streaming options than any other device.

Like the Chromecast, the Streaming Stick is a small dongle that slots into a TV's HDMI port. Once up and running, Roku says the device will give users a choice of more than 1,200 channels in the US or more than 750 channels for users in Canada, the UK and the Republic of Ireland at up to 1080p HD video resolution.

The Streaming Stick can be controlled from a smartphone or tablet app for iOS or Android, but Roku is also offering a remote control for those who prefer a more orthodox means of channel-hopping. Media that can be streamed to a TV includes Netflix, YouTube and any personal files stored on the user's smart device. Roku is also planning to add the functionality for wirelessly sending media from a home computer.

The Streaming Stick is available for pre-order and will be available in April for a suggested retail price of US$49.99.

Source: Roku
    Source: Gizmag (Robarts)
    Last edited by MovieBuff; 03-05-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Excited about this one

Pre-ordered one last week. Very excited

Just received mine and it will definitely help me "cut the cord" on my cable bill.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    One came with my JVC TV. It works through the JVC remote control. It's wireless only. I'm not sure that I like that.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by AlBurr View Post
    Just received mine and it will definitely help me "cut the cord" on my cable bill.
    Any additional thoughts? Is it good?

I suppose... I already have a Samsung TV, an XBox, a Wii... so I have a fair amount of overlap. I am already Amazon Prime and subscribe to HULU and NetFlix so I have have a good set of Streaming content. It was fun to watch TWiT on my big screen though...I still haven't fully explored it as I have been occupied with other activities.

"Update" 4-13-14: I am enjoying the freedom and simplicity of the ROKU interface. Not sure if this will allow me to "cut the cord" just yet. Still too many compromises with some content that my wife enjoys. I may invest in a HD antenna again and see if we can get the local programming. That may just be enough to get rid of cable.
    Last edited by AlBurr; 04-13-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Hey Guys,

just got a roku and love it!

Not sure I understand the enthusiasm.

I bought the Roku 3 couple weeks ago. Everything appeared to have a subscription charge. With the various choices wanted in my household I pretty well concluded I was better off with time warner cable. Of course we aren't into movies, which is probably the main attraction for many people. No one liked the interface and selection tools in the app. Also, many of the choices were not complete for the various provider stations, especially local stations.

I returned it within 2 weeks and got a full refund. It appeared to work well enough WIFI, but everyone was complaining about how slow it loaded programs. Otherwise, I guess it was OK. I don't watch TV, so I wasn't interested at all.
    Last edited by domineaux; 05-09-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by domineaux View Post
    Not sure I understand the enthusiasm.

I bought the Roku 3 couple weeks ago. Everything appeared to have a subscription charge. With the various choices wanted in my household I pretty well concluded I was better off with time warner cable. Of course we aren't into movies, which is probably the main attraction for many people. No one liked the interface and selection tools in the app. Also, many of the choices were not complete for the various provider stations, especially local stations.

I returned it within 2 weeks and got a full refund. It appeared to work well enough WIFI, but everyone was complaining about how slow it loaded programs. Otherwise, I guess it was OK. I don't watch TV, so I wasn't interested at all.
    Interesting.. most people buy a Roku for either Netflix, Hulu, and the WWE Network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast