International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts On How To Podcast

Erik K Johnson of podcasttalentcoach.com does a pretty good job helping with content creation. I'm loving this thread though. I'm getting tons of ideas for new shows...
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

Success is not that hard to measure. If you dont have a large audience / making money your are not successful at podcasting. Plan and simple. I dont care to listen to someone who is doing this as a hobby. I want to hear from people who have been doing this successfully for a long time.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by podcastcoach View Post
    Erik K Johnson of podcasttalentcoach.com does a pretty good job helping with content creation. I'm loving this thread though. I'm getting tons of ideas for new shows...
    What interests you most about the thread?
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Quote Originally Posted by erictimmer View Post
    I don't think you are "born" an entrepreneur. That is learned for sure. Of course, your environment from early age shapes this (i.e. parents, socioeconomics, friends, the paths you chose, etc.) but no you are not born with it.
    Effective entrepreneurs see opportunity where others see nothing. The difference between success and failure lies in a combination of extremely hard work and practically flawless execution. 1000 people can have the exact same concept, take the same path, have the same education, socio-economic background, financial backing and emotional support, but only one or two will succeed in that market. Natural instincts and drive is what makes the difference. You either have it or you don't....Just my view.

I don't want to post a link for fear of coming across as too self-promotional, but I do offer such a course online. The very first set of 20 students just "graduated" in February (it's a month-long course) and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Students' experience level ran the gamut from several who had yet to launch to one with 63 episodes published and another with over 450 episodes under his belt. In addition to weekly modules taught live, I include one-on-one weekly coaching seasons.

One of the most helpful and valuable aspects of my radio career was the personal talent coaching I received during my time on the air. I love helping others really understand the keys to leveraging this intimate medium.

Jeff what do you feel is the biggest mistake new podcasters make. Would love to get some insight from someone who is from the broadcasting world

Some might not agree, but my biggest pet peeve often rears its head on interview-focused podcasts. Once the guest is introduced, the host nearly always "forgets" his/her audience and talks only to the guest. What I teach is to think of yourself, your guest and your listener (one person) as sitting at the same table having a conversation. Most hosts are so focused on their guest, they essentially make their listener feel as if they're sitting at another table, more or less eaves dropping ON a conversation, as opposed to participating IN one. It's techniques like these that can make a world of difference in how your listener perceives you and your content.

Success is to be measured... not so much by the position one has reached in life, but by the obstacles one has overcome in life, while trying to succeed. ~ Booker T. Washington

Persistence produces success... nothing in the world produces more success than persistence. Talent cannot, nothing is more common in the world today than unsuccessful people... loaded with talent. Education cannot, the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone, will always win the day ~ Calvin Coolidge

In her sweet Southern vernacular: "Boy... if you wont breakfass in bed, you gon'half to sleep in da kitchen a life!" (In other words, the secret to your success is hidden in your daily routine.) ~ My Grand Mother
    Last edited by docizzen; 03-05-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docizzen View Post
    Success is to be measured... not so much by the position one has reached in life, but by the obstacles one has overcome in life, while trying to succeed. ~ Booker T. Washington

Persistence produces success... nothing in the world produces more success than persistence. Talent cannot, nothing is more common in the world today than unsuccessful people... loaded with talent. Education cannot, the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone, will always win the day ~ Calvin Coolidge

In her Southern vernacular: "Boy... if you wont breakfass in bed, you gon'half to sleep in da kitchen a life!" (In other words, the secret to your success is hidden in your daily routine.) ~ My Grand Mother
    Ain't that the truth!

I listen to those shows just to see what people are talking about with regards to being "successful". People think that by touting their bank rolls that they will get people to follow them into the trenches. There is no full proof recipe for success much like some people are great at podcasting and some people suck at it. I'd rather fall 100 times and get up stronger then follow someone elses blueprint for success.

If you made a 100 grand podcasting in a year then you clearly have all the tools to make it work but not everyone has that type of good fortune. Take risks, work hard and stay humble and success will come. I got 200 plus episodes under my belt and each one is 3hrs long and in some cases longer. I think I do a good job but am I swimming in money? Not in the least but I love what I do and will keep working at it till I get to where I want to be. I'd rather be the man that practices and masters one kick 10,000 times then be the guy who touts he knows 10,000 kicks.
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast