International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Podcasts On How To Podcast

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar

Podcasts On How To Podcast

So I’ve recently watched and listened to a couple of podcasts on how to podcast…You know, the dos and don’ts, how to earn etc., but all the advice is very similar, and from what I can tell, relatively ineffective in the real world of turning your podcast into a profitable business.

While a lot of these guys seem really smart, engaging and entertaining, it just appears that most in the field are sticking with old school "radio like" business models that never really worked in radio. Radio runs off debt. It’s an incredibly flawed model, so why do podcasters believe they need to stick with it?
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

To be honest spencer I'm really tired of all these How to podcast podcasts. Most..... not all are done by people who have never had any success in the broadcasting world and have never created a successful podcast. Its a bunch of marketing guys trying to sell you their bs course. a sucker is born everyday.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Nerve struck. A member of my inner circle was telling me earlier today that I shouldn't waste my time trying to warn people about these purveyors of snake oil. I've been around a long time, and I can smell a skunk a mile away. While there are some people making money, the numbers are so incredibly low that they are laughable.

If you want to get little people to follow you around like puppies, start posting income reports showing that you make megabucks. You cannot tell them otherwise. (Think about someone who has just about signed up for an MLM. They are extremely defensive about their decision, and YOU just don't get it.)

I know some very wealthy people. None of them talks about how much money they make.

Here is what you can take to the bank. Making money podcasting is hard work. It's no different from any other business except that it may be harder to make money.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Wow, had no idea that this post would elicit such a passionate response. I can certainly see your points guys, and while I can’t speak to the issue of what people are marketing or selling, I do think these programs can be helpful as far as learning about some of the technical aspects of internet broadcasting.

Mike’s point about hard work is spot on…Very few possess the grit and ingenuity it takes to make a living as an independent broadcaster.

The ones that are evergreen (as the podcaster's studio would say) are meant to be very informal, here's how to structure content, here's how to setup equipment, etc. I agree I have listened to a few of them and I don't get much out of them at all.

I hate that most podcasters out there try to mimic radio. Don't get me wrong, radio has it's bright spots, but this is a new, very similiar, medium. It needs to have it's own feel, it's own style. Reminds me how the early days of web design was basically, take this brochure or print design and make the site look like that.

Then there are those podcasters out there that show off their earnings report, as Mike suggested. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he has podcasting classes and schools where you pay thousands of dollars for training. That being said, if you look at the earnings report, he is making a decent amount on podcasting, but the majority of his income is in the form of the side business. The training, the membership website, etc. I am very wary of someone like that and think that he gives off the wrong impression of what you can expect in podcasting. Those types remind me of Don Lapre, or any other number of get rich quick schemes I used to see on late night TV when I was younger.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Exactly, Brad, but the people who desperately WANT to believe that nonsense overlook the reality. I was sharing the Carlton Sheets story with some younger guys in my circle just last night. (They have not yet been approached to sell MLM soap, either.)

We spent quite a bit of time going through published numbers last night. While many to most of the number are not even remotely credible, they are being misread by the little squirrels chasing nuts.

I was advised to stop being concerned about what other people are doing that may cause them to hurt themselves and to let them going ahead and learn the hard way. Maybe that's the approach I should take. After all, I had to learn the hard way, although I have always tried to learn from the mistakes of others, as well.

Paul McCartney could spend a month with me trying to teach me how to sing, but I would never be able to duplicate Paul McCartney's success. The same is true with a lot of these "pseud shoes dudes" selling "get rich podcasting" schemes. Snake oil is alive and well in the podcasting world, and there is NO reward for anyone who tries to point it out. I'm glad that's not why I do it.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

What bothers me about the podcasting world is that no one is teaching people how to be a better broadcaster. Its either about SEO, Marketing or making money. What about talent...

That's a good point Podnutter! Skills improvement training is a bit lacking out there. I'd like to get more help on content development and delivery. Vocal skills are another area that could use some specialization...although there are cross-overs from other broadcast/voice-over areas that are helpful.

Podnutter you hit the nail on the head. The reason why many of these podcasting coaches are focusing in on SEO, Marketing and all the other stuff is because you cant teach talent. No matter how much SEO and marketing you do if your show sucks no one is going to listen to it and sadly 98% of the podcasts out there suck
    you best get steppin

These are all good points. It really is all about talent and relate-ability. In my view, you have to be relatable to both your audience and to the industry your working within in order to succeed financially.

Mike makes a good point with his Paul MCartney analogy…Im always asked questions like “what steps do I need to take to become a successful entrepreneur.” The answer is, you have to be born with the drive and wherewithal to make it happen. It can’t be taught in my view... You can give a guy the keys to the castle, but very few have the ability to unlock the door. It's just the way that it is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast