International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts On How To Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmartz View Post
    Podnutter you hit the nail on the head. The reason why many of these podcasting coaches are focusing in on SEO, Marketing and all the other stuff is because you cant teach talent. No matter how much SEO and marketing you do if your show sucks no one is going to listen to it and sadly 98% of the podcasts out there suck
    Although I largely agree with this point, some people could cross that threshold with the right coaching. Look at Tiger Woods (maybe a bad example), even while he was still great he was still getting coaches on the intricacies in his game to take him to the next level, granted he has downgraded from that level since then, but the point is, at his greatest he was still getting feedback on what others saw that he was missing.

In the radio world people do air checks. In the podcasting world, I think talented people sound like garbage because no one takes the time to tell them that they are falling back on crutches to get them through. Once their eyes are opened, they improve 10 fold (if they choose to work on those little nuances once pointed out).

The biggest mistake I see almost every podcaster make is that they try to mimic radio, from the voice to the production, etc. Even one of the shows I produce has an intro created by one of the hosts that is too long and sounds very radio-y. So do as I say, not as I'm affiliated with.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster thetechbuzz's Avatar
    I can say at least from my point of view doing a show on my network called "Broadcast Now" we use this as a medium to inform other broadcasters of things that worked and didn't work for me and my guests. But we ALWAYS state there is no right or wrong way of doing this, I don't care who you are, there is no secret sauce. All we can state is what is working or has worked. I agree with the statements about radio, I prefer to run my show like a TV show, but still use radio mics cause of the quality.

But i think if more people got involved in some of these shows, and offered their opinion, I think more and more people would get more out of them. We try to bring industry professionals on to talk about things that we aren't very up on. But I can assure any of you, that we aren't doing the show for SEO or trying to deceive anyone with the show.

With that said, I do think more and more people that consider themselves good at broadcasting, or a success as some put it, get involved with these shows, so the correct information gets out. Again this is just my opinion.
    Stephen Heywood
    Host/Owner of
    The Tech Buzz www.thetechbuzz.net
    and
    TTB Network www.ttbn.tv

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thetechbuzz View Post
    With that said, I do think more and more people that consider themselves good at broadcasting, or a success as some put it, get involved with these shows, so the correct information gets out. Again this is just my opinion.
    Is this your way of inviting me to be a guest on your show? It would be an honor...Just busting balls. I think you make some good points.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

IAIB Pro Broadcaster thetechbuzz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Kobren View Post
    Is this your way of inviting me to be a guest on your show? It would be an honor...Just busting balls. I think you make some good points.
    Spencer any time your free man!! Seriously!! Today Mike and I are going to talk about building a community and our experiences on how to keep them, and build it. If your open, would love to have you on and join us!! 2:45pm your time for pre-show
    Stephen Heywood
    Host/Owner of
    The Tech Buzz www.thetechbuzz.net
    and
    TTB Network www.ttbn.tv

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thetechbuzz View Post
    Spencer any time your free man!! Seriously!! Today Mike and I are going to talk about building a community and our experiences on how to keep them, and build it. If your open, would love to have you on and join us!! 2:45pm your time for pre-show
    Don’t laugh, but I'm be getting a haircut at that time…It's a whole stress filled ordeal for me. One wrong move and I’m bald.

I’d love to come on sometime though…we’ll make it happen. Thanks for the invite!
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Brad, we're not disagreeing. What I'm saying is that a vocal coach can make a singer sing better. A vocal coach cannot make a non-singer into a singer. Taylor Swift is the perfect example. You either have it or you don't. If you have it, you can hone it. If you don't have it, you're out of luck.

The rub is that everyone who broadcasts or podcasts for the first time sucks. With time, the ones "with it" pull away from the crowd and excel. The ones "without it" don't attract and audience and often get suckered into high priced podcasting schools and "get rich podcasting" schemes. I never criticize anyone for being a beginner, but I do criticize people who fail to use their common sense when it comes to protecting themselves from snake oil.

On a side note, I'm not sure why I bother. I was told recently that, in essence, I should mind my own business when it comes to helping others not get screwed and let the chips fall where they may. That's not my nature, but maybe I can learn to do that.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

IAIB Broadcaster
    I don't think you are "born" an entrepreneur. That is learned for sure. Of course, your environment from early age shapes this (i.e. parents, socioeconomics, friends, the paths you chose, etc.) but no you are not born with it.
    Get a PC!

Im still pretty new to podcasting but here is my point of view.

I think there are many people out there that have no idea where to start when it comes to podcasting. I think Podcasts about podcasting can be a great tool on learning the rights and wrongs of podcasting without making the mistakes. Most of the information provided can be found somewhere else on the net but why waste your time when someone else has done the homework for you.

I do agree that there should be more shows on doing compelling content. Natural talent is something that can not be learned but you can come close.

Some people are interesting and some are not. Same goes for podcasts.

Eric I think you brought up something interesting. having a successful podcast is more about having interesting content and less about being a good entrepreneur. Do podcasters want to have a interesting podcast or do they want to be an entrepreneur?

IAIB Broadcaster
    The problem is..... How do you define a "successful podcast"? Money? Audience? Having fun?

There are many definitions so "You" have to decide what "You" think is a successful podcast.
    Get a PC!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast