International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: How much can a 2013 Macbook Pro handle?

How much can a 2013 Macbook Pro handle?

Dear IAIB,

I just upgraded to a 2013 Macbook Pro/Retina i7 with 16 gb ram. I am trying to put 2 HDMI cameras into the 2 thunderbolt connections.

When I plug each camera into the MB using the BM mini recorder, they work fine and all is happy. However, when I plug them both into the MB I am only getting picture out of one. Is this a power issue? Is this a setting issue?

Should this be able to work?

If this doesn't work... The next plan is to run WireCast on the MBP with one camera and have camera 2 stream into a MPAir and do a Desktop Presenter transfer. If.... I do this, what is the best app for having camera 2 show on up on the Air so I can DTPresenter on the second screen?

Thanks guys!

Jeff
    @TeacherCast

as far as i know it should be working. Are u able to get video from the camera that isn't working right if you only plug that one in ?

Web / Roku Developer RadarGaming's Avatar
    Jeff,

I would make sure that the macbook is able to use both devices at the same time. I would contact BM support and see if the devices and the macbook support that.
    For Web Design And More Check Out Craig Digital Designs!

IAIB Broadcaster
    I think they might share the same bus so there might not be enough power to drive both. This is a guess but it would be good if we can find out for sure.
    Get a PC!

What software are you using to try to see both at the same time? Wirecast? That should work. Can you see them both using the BMD Media Express?

Would you guys recommend using a laptop for production? I would imagine you would encounter issues with USB and Thunderbolt bus
    you best get steppin

MBP Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmartz View Post
    Would you guys recommend using a laptop for production? I would imagine you would encounter issues with USB and Thunderbolt bus
    Thank you all for helping and throwing some advice on here. I have tried every combination that involves 2 cameras, 2 BlackMagic Mini Recorders, 2 Thunderbolt Cables, 2 HDMI Cables and the 2 Thunderbolt connections on the 2013 MBP.

Here is what I think....

I am thinking that it is an issue with the HDMI cable. When I plugged in every configuration imaginable using each of the TBolt ports I was able to get a useable picture from each camera, each BMRecorder and each thunderbolt cord. I was not able to get a photo with one of my HDMI Cables. Oddly, I was able to (when plugged in) have the MBP recognize each camera ... so... that is still the odd thing.

I have ordered a second HDMI cable, the same brand/model as the cable I have that is working and this should be arriving tomorrow #luvAmazon....

I have a broadcast on location on Wednesday and I hope to have it up and running by Wednesday.

In Theory, as others have told me... this should be practically plug and play and the MBP should handle it without any problems... hence... I'm blaming the cable.

I'll keep everyone updated. If there are any other comments or thoughts I'd love to get some extra suggestions.

Jeff
    @TeacherCast

Both from my own experience and from another member of IAIB member @moviebuff, it is absolutely possible:
    http://forum.ibroadcastnetwork.org/s...using-Wirecast

I just ran and event that I used 2 mini recorders and a USB3 shuttle and it worked great. My suggestion is to plugin the mini recorders, ensure that they are using their HDMI input (or SDI if that’s your camera) using the system preferences / control panel tool. I did notice that the first time plugging in both BM shuttles and BM mini-recorders, they didn’t have the appropriate input that I needed. Also, note that BM devices are a bit finicky with input types: 1080i60 / 1080i59.9 are generally fine but some output devices (live handheld cameras) don’t broadcast / resend that they’ve changed output formats and both the USB shuttle and thunderbolt shuttle cannot see those changes.

the problem I have noticed with laptops is the USB ports.