International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Telesteram Wirecast Blog - Insider Program - Upcoming features

Telesteram Wirecast Blog - Insider Program - Upcoming features

You might want to follow the Wirecast Blog to stay informed.
    http://blogs.telestream.net/wirecast/

Wirecast Insider Program
    for opinionated folks (beginners welcome) for input an development of new features
    http://blogs.telestream.net/wirecast...der-program-2/

New features on the roadmap.
    http://blogs.telestream.net/wirecast...ming-features/

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
    You might want to follow the Wirecast Blog to stay informed.
    http://blogs.telestream.net/wirecast/

Wirecast Insider Program
    for opinionated folks (beginners welcome) for input an development of new features
    http://blogs.telestream.net/wirecast...der-program-2/

New features on the roadmap.
    http://blogs.telestream.net/wirecast...ming-features/
    Great stuff Cseeman! Hey I have a question for you... Can you guide me to some of the more popular Internet broadcasts that use Wirecast to stream their programs? I'd love to check them out.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Here's some of the users.
    http://www.telestream.net/wire-cast/customers.htm

Live Earth may have been the biggest.

Question

Here's some of the users.
    http://www.telestream.net/wire-cast/customers.htm

Live Earth may have been the biggest.
    Thanks Cseeman! These look like some really interesting and well produced programs. I hope you don’t mind me asking this question, but I’m curious as to why you think the programs with a more significant viewership haven't adopted wirecast? I’m assuming it’s, in part, the VVD issue, but have you gotten any feedback? Telestream seems like they would be a great company to work with. I understand they have fantastic customer service, and when I stopped by their booth at the NAB I was really impressed.

why you think the programs with a more significant viewership haven't adopted wirecast?
    The shows listed have/had significant viewership. Do you have shows in mind?
    Many shows with big budgets opt for Tricaster. It's funny but even Leo Laporte has to find workarounds with that beast. I know he had been using the output of the Tricaster to MacMinis to do his live streaming to multiple locations.

Category5TV uses Wirecast on Windows. He's using 1080p MS Lifecam Studio webcams.
    PixelCorp (Alex Lindsay and friends) are using Wirecast on Mac.
    DVShow also uses Wirecast.
    Computability uses Wirecast
    There are JuniorLeague Hockey teams in Canada using Wirecast
    I recently discovered actor/comedian Roseanne Barr was using either Wirecast or Producer Pro (she's on Ustream).
    There are many others but I'm not sure what you mean by "significant viewership"

A lot of shows don't really talk about what they use unless they're tech shows.

I'm not sure VVD is mission critical for streaming (as a content creator) unless you want to send to another encoder than Wirecast's.
    It's important if you want to brand your guest appearances if you're appearing via Skype, GoogleHangouts or doing a Go2Meeting Webinar for example.

Given some of what I know, Wirecast is being used in a very large number of high profile shows that don't have a Tricaster or hardware encoder.

The shows listed have/had significant viewership. Do you have shows in mind?
    Many shows with big budgets opt for Tricaster. It's funny but even Leo Laporte has to find workarounds with that beast. I know he had been using the output of the Tricaster to MacMinis to do his live streaming to multiple locations.

Category5TV uses Wirecast on Windows. He's using 1080p MS Lifecam Studio webcams.
    PixelCorp (Alex Lindsay and friends) are using Wirecast on Mac.
    DVShow also uses Wirecast.
    Computability uses Wirecast
    There are JuniorLeague Hockey teams in Canada using Wirecast
    I recently discovered actor/comedian Roseanne Barr was using either Wirecast or Producer Pro (she's on Ustream).
    There are many others but I'm not sure what you mean by "significant viewership"

A lot of shows don't really talk about what they use unless they're tech shows.

I'm not sure VVD is mission critical for streaming (as a content creator) unless you want to send to another encoder than Wirecast's.
    It's important if you want to brand your guest appearances if you're appearing via Skype, GoogleHangouts or doing a Go2Meeting Webinar for example.

Given some of what I know, Wirecast is being used in a very large number of high profile shows that don't have a Tricaster or hardware encoder.
    Thanks for the reply Cseeman. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things to me. I hope I wasn't being offensive by using the term significant viewership, all of the programs you guided me to are all quality shows for sure!

BTW here's Category5TV
    http://www.category5.tv/

The tech shows such as this readily identify that they're using Wirecast.

Wirecast has specific features that draw some shows to even over Tricaster for example.
    Encoder that can send to multiple locations with multiple settings and record to hard drive with settings and codecs other than what you're streaming at. This means it might be more commonly used in such shows.

Webcam frame size support. Wirecast detects all the frame sizes a webcam is capable of using. It detects it differently for different models. Category5TV uses is for this reason.

Mac users who need software switching and compositing use it. So sometimes if you find a show says they're streaming from a Mac and using multiple cameras, you can pretty much guess they're using Wirecast. Occupy Wall Street in NYC is using Wirecast for some of their streams or sometimes Livestream Procaster depending on the needs of the the specific coverage they're doing. They're using Macs and Hackintoshes.

Some divisions within the United Nations are using Wirecast. UNICEF have used it for example.

If it looks like a show is using multiple direct camera audio (as opposed to a mixing board), that would be Wirecast because it handles multiple separate audio source inputs. The Pro version has an Audio Inspector which is basically a simple software mixer with faders, channel mutes, sync delay for each hardware audio source input (except DV cameras).

Basically if you know Wirecast specific features you can spot it in use. As you can see from the list many of the shows are not tech shows and they would never have a reason to mention what they're using. You'll find Wirecast used in talk, entertainment, concerts, sporting events.

BTW here's Category5TV
    http://www.category5.tv/

The tech shows such as this readily identify that they're using Wirecast.

Wirecast has specific features that draw some shows to even over Tricaster for example.
    Encoder that can send to multiple locations with multiple settings and record to hard drive with settings and codecs other than what you're streaming at. This means it might be more commonly used in such shows.

Webcam frame size support. Wirecast detects all the frame sizes a webcam is capable of using. It detects it differently for different models. Category5TV uses is for this reason.

Mac users who need software switching and compositing use it. So sometimes if you find a show says they're streaming from a Mac and using multiple cameras, you can pretty much guess they're using Wirecast. Occupy Wall Street in NYC is using Wirecast for some of their streams or sometimes Livestream Procaster depending on the needs of the the specific coverage they're doing. They're using Macs and Hackintoshes.

Some divisions within the United Nations are using Wirecast. UNICEF have used it for example.

If it looks like a show is using multiple direct camera audio (as opposed to a mixing board), that would be Wirecast because it handles multiple separate audio source inputs. The Pro version has an Audio Inspector which is basically a simple software mixer with faders, channel mutes, sync delay for each hardware audio source input (except DV cameras).

Basically if you know Wirecast specific features you can spot it in use. As you can see from the list many of the shows are not tech shows and they would never have a reason to mention what they're using. You'll find Wirecast used in talk, entertainment, concerts, sporting events.
    Thanks Cseeman! I really appreciate your expertise.