International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Kramer

Kramer

Hey, I have been looking for a good podcasting forum for a while, and after looking around here, it appears that this is a good one.

I'm 43 years old. I am the afternoon host on WMAY in Springfield, IL. It's a talk station. I've been on the radio in Tampa, Dallas, San Francisco, Detroit, Orlando, St. Louis and Little Rock. I was at one point syndicated when I was with my partner on The Kramer And Twitch Show. (You can Google that and find some interesting reading on what we did when we were together.)

Over the years I've watched radio change, and watched what podcasting has become. The idea of podcasting is awesome, but MOST of the time, people miss the mark - incredibly. I don't mean that from a technical standpoint, I mean it from a CONTENT standpoint. I hear a lot of people who's equipment sounds terrific, but the content of the show is nowhere to be found. A lot of people don't prepare for anything at all. They just turn the mic on and go. Bad idea.

I just want to help as many people with the content of their show as possible. How to pick topics. How to engage a listener with a story. How to take phone calls the right way. How to use imaging, and where to get it. How to BRAND you and your show. BTW, I'm not pimping a business or anything; I know it sounds like that, but I'm just telling you why I signed up for the forum.

So anyway, I'm married, 43 and have a 9 year old son. Love the forum and can't wait to get into some other discussions!

Rock on,

Kramer

Hey Kramer!

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the forum! Always nice to have someone with great experience join up.

I may be asking you for direction as although I usually have a list of topics to talk about, I generally turn on the mic and go and use it as a loose/general framework for the show.

Anyway, see you around!

Welcome Kramer... as exreality said... it's great to have someone with your experience join us. I am a total noob so advice is highly valued.

I've heard of Kramer and Twitch before, but then again I'm a fan of the old school radio days. Having worked at a company that quickly became consumed by the corporate engine that is Clear Channel and then Cumulus, radio is missing the personalities these days (hence the reason if I'm not listening to podcasts, I'm only listening to talk radio).

Welcome to the forums, you'll fit in well here.

Thanks fellas. Yes Brad it was Kramer and Twitch. Twitch lives in Kentucky and is the Program Director of the rock station there. He has two kids now. GO HELP US ALL!

I'm new to all of this and like' many, I've been focusing on building my studio with equipment so in this regard you're spot-on. I also agree that content is key, and the majority of podcasts do seem to start in the middle of nowhere. Kind of reminds me of how my friends and I would gather on a street corner in the evening and start with asking about what we've been up to, etc. It's almost like listening to a private conversation and unless you're interested in whatever they bring up, it grows long in the tooth.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I look forward to your contributions.

Agreed Dan. There is no beginning, middle and end . . . it's just this big blob of nothingness.

Welcome Kramer!

While I had not heard of Kramer and Twitch before, I did read a little bit and found that I would definitely,have been a listener. There was some great shock-jockery back in the day...

I agree about the need for some kind of structure... Even a few notes to go off of is better than nothing imho. My show is more of a quasi-news type of thing with list of stories/topics, so my structure comes semi-easily.

i look forward to your input here on the forum!

~Bill
    Media Fiasco Podcast
    News and Pop Culture. Irreverent. Inappropriate.
    www.mediafiasco.com