International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Marketing Tips for Podcasting

Lightbulb Marketing Tips for Podcasting

I am still new to the podcasting world. I have been doing a few guests spots on my friends podcast but now its time for me to get serious. I know content is key but I am looking for some marketing tips from the experts. How should I promote my podcast? I know Facebook and Twitter are key but what are some tips for the way you promote on social networks. What about local marketing? Is it possible for a podcast to gain popularity locally?

Thanks
    Paul

Same questions I have for the most part. It seems that getting the initial small listener-base is the hardest part and I too am struggling with that.

Same question for me. I see many people adding images to their posts. I wonder if that helps?

Dear IAIB Friends:

I am coming to you from a totally unique point of view. I began podcasting 2 years ago. I am an educator and most educators these days are waking up to find that Twitter is the best form of professional development. Since then, I have used Twitter (not Facebook, not G+) to grow my audience and my brand. Two years later, I have a following of almost 10,500 educators strong and can easily get edtech companies to come on my live shows. Each month pulls in approx 30,000 "downloads" of the podcast through my various outlets (iTunes,stitcher,iheartradio,media core) Since switching primarily to video, my YT subs have also climbed.

I'm not saying that these numbers are Leo numbers. I am saying, in my market, these numbers are pretty darn good for education. My back catalogue is constantly being hit and used as teaching resources and for the most part, all of the managing is done by myself and the 28 WordPress sites that make up the TeacherCast network.

My advice: Find a road and travel down it. Find a hashtag and follow it. Use the power of Twitter and you will grow your brand.

Get a catchy Twitter handle, create a bio that is worth looking further into and have fun interacting with your audience.

Check us out LIVE on Sundays at 7pm Eastern.

Jeff Bradbury
    @TeacherCast
    www.TeacherCast.net
    www.TeacherCast.tv

Hey Jeff! Great to have you on the forum!

I think there are a number of ways you can promote your content/podcast. Something that has been working well for us at GFQ is taking clips from a show and posting it on youtube. If there is something current (hot topic) that you discusses its a good idea to post it on youtube.

Also Join communities on facebook and google plus that relate to your show. You will be amazed at the amount of people willing to help you out

Absolutely... not sure why I haven't thought of the short clips... I'm really trying to do a full show in WireCast and post that file to YouTube without any Final Cut work. To make the shorter videos would also bring attention to the show.