International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB 3.0 Webcam HoverCam 3PO

Hi Craig,

I really think you guys are onto something. like Podnutter said I think many people would like to see us review this. Is there a contact email I can reach you at. Would love to get my hands on one and review it for the site.

Of course we'd be delighted to submit a 3PO for review once it's ready. Please email me the details of the reviewer and we'll send one out when ready. Apologies for the delay in responding - it's been a crazy first two months of the year. For any of you interested in the "education" market, we've taken the 3PO engine and put it "on a stick" and bundled it with software for school teachers, who use it to instruct, take photos, scan papers & OCR, record videos for the "flipped" learning classroom, grade papers, and Skype in HD (distance learning). In this format - on a stick - it's called a "document camera" instead of a webcam. Teachers love these things.

$299 isn't a bad price if the quality is comparable to video cameras that sell for 4 times as much. I was actually just thinking about 3k/4k the other day. 3k/4k could be nice to have if all you have is a single camera to record an event but can create multiple shots from in post production.
    Watch Tech News Weekly every Friday at 3pm EST on the GFQ Network.

Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    $299 isn't a bad price if the quality is comparable to video cameras that sell for 4 times as much. I was actually just thinking about 3k/4k the other day. 3k/4k could be nice to have if all you have is a single camera to record an event but can create multiple shots from in post production.
    My school did a test with a 4K camera last week and created several shots from one camera shot (including zoomed shots). It works!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJustice View Post
    Wanted to give you an update on the HoverCam 3PO, the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 webcam. We've been showing it at some conferences including ISE - Integrated Systems Europe - in Amsterdam last week. Yes, it's 3K resolution. Yes, the image looks great. Yes, the image is fast. About the price, yes, it's not cheap, but, I can't find anything with this performance and quality for under $1,000, so for prosummers and business users the price is looking attractive. Alas, it's not a PTZ camera - at least not yet. You can do the P & T by hand. My guess is we will include our ASR an adaptive sensor response zoom that will allow the user to zoom with the mouse and do some limited panning when zoomed in. The zoom quality is much better than traditional "digital zoom." We're looking for release in the May time frame. Stay tuned and feel free to contact me with any questions - and for you die-hard enthusiasts who were on this chat initially who want one of these but for whom price is an issue - please contact me directly and I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.
    Thank you very much for replying.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Andrew would be a good one to do a review, if he is willing to do so. He's ADD on video quality.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    Andrew would be a good one to do a review, if he is willing to do so. He's ADD on video quality.
    Absolutely! (for Andrew. I wouldn't say ADD, I would say "Quality Assurance Inspector.")
    So would Stephen Heywood from http://www.thetechbuzz.net/
    Mark Johnson and Vance Willis from http://www.studiotech.tv/
    Michael Manna and Josh Coleman from http://t4show.com/

Chase Nunes from http://www.geekgamer.tv/ is the person that initially got me interested in this.

Has there been any updates with this product? Its shocking that there have not been USB 3.0 webcams release to the market from Microsoft and Logitech

Quote Originally Posted by AlBurr View Post
    Not encouraging that their website is unreachable...
    and it's back... still targeting Q2 2014 release...

Specifications
    Sensor Type: 8.0 MegaPixel HD CMOS
    Optical Resolution: Optical Format 1/3.2"
    Image Resolution: 2592x1944, 2048x1536, 1600x1200, 1280x720, 800x600
    Maximum Still-Image Resolution: 8MP
    Frame Rate: 3K or 1080P @ 30fps
    Video Compression: MJPEG
    Focus: Autofocus, Autofocus lock
    Compatible with video-chatting programs: Skype, Google Chat, Windows Live Messenger
    Swivel / Angle Rotation: 360 degree
    Power Requirements: USB Powered, No External Power Required
    Port Connection: SuperSpeed USB 3.0
    System Requirements: CPU 1.0 GHz Minimum, 1.6 GHz Recommended, 
RAM 512MB Minimum, 1GB Recommended
    Dimensions (W x D x H): Camera: 3.07"x 1.27" x 1.50"
    Base: 2.05"x 2.44" x 0.82"
    Connections Required : 1 USB 3.0 cable to the computer
    Warranty: 1 year
    Microphone: Built-in
    Accessories: USB 3.0 cable, computer mount, protective case
    Certifications: FCC, CE, RoH
    Availability & Pricing: Q2, 2014 | MSRP $299

We need to write the software for this. The hardware is basically done. We've started shipping this month the Solo 8 document camera, which uses the same engine as the 3PO webcam. Solo 8 is a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 document camera with Four K resolution at 30 frames/sec refresh rate. It's a USB 3 webcam on a stick, with software for scanning and recording video. The 3PO schedule has slipped a bit - shipments should start in June. So, that's an update.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast