International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Podcaster

Wink First Time Podcaster

Hi all, Andrew here

I just got into the podcasting scene, my friend and I have expanded what used to be a rant/review blog into a podcast. So far we are having a lot of fun with it but are looking to improve our craft (and equipment) to entertain our readers/listeners with a good quality product.

Currently we are podcasting by Skyping each other and recording our own feeds on each end (he is in California and I am in Washington) and so far this is working very well. The only sad part is that we're still using webcam mics, which is the first problem I want to fix.

I'm glad to find a place with so much advice available for the novice and experienced podcaster...I can't wait to learn more about the process and implement some positive changes in my own podcast.

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome to the IAIB
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

Hey Andrew!

Really happy you found the IAIB. There are amazing experts here willing to help out! Please feel free to ask for advice.

BTW I know many people who have been using skype for their podcast and they may have a better solution for you. (Rather then recording the audio on each side)

Awesome, although do-able it is quite cumbersome especially when it comes time to transfer the audio file and sync everything up.

Welcome to the IAIB.
    Watch Tech News Weekly every Friday at 3pm EST on the GFQ Network.

Welcome to the forum from Arizona.

Welcome Andrew...This place is awesome...

Welcome to the group!

Hey there, I was really overwhelmed when I would look around and see what people were suggesting to have for equipment when starting a podcast. But I did my own research and found some great deals, using Craiglist and other resources in my area.

I did find a mixer for 60 dollars with 4 mic inputs which was enough for now. I got 4 mic stands, cords and mics for 100 dollars. Not the best quality but again, enough for now.

We use Skype for our interviews that can't come into the studio and feeding my Skype into my mixer makes it easy to record directly without much extra effort. I would suggest getting a mixer and picking up a few cheap mics off sites like Musicians Friend or Guitar Center. It won't be great, but it will be better than a webcam mic for now.

Once you see some ad revenue come in, tuck away some and in 6 months you upgrade your equipment. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck, and our podcast welcomes any feedback as well.

Quote Originally Posted by QuestionNet View Post
    I did find a mixer for 60 dollars with 4 mic inputs which was enough for now. I got 4 mic stands, cords and mics for 100 dollars. Not the best quality but again, enough for now.

We use Skype for our interviews that can't come into the studio and feeding my Skype into my mixer makes it easy to record directly without much extra effort. I would suggest getting a mixer and picking up a few cheap mics off sites like Musicians Friend or Guitar Center. It won't be great, but it will be better than a webcam mic for now.

Once you see some ad revenue come in, tuck away some and in 6 months you upgrade your equipment. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck, and our podcast welcomes any feedback as well.
    Welcome to IAIB!
    What "mixer for 60 dollars"? Weblink? (coughs) You can include an Amazon affiliate link ;-)
    "I got 4 mic stands, cords and mics for 100 dollars." Weblink?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast