International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I will light my Vid/PodCast

How I will light my Vid/PodCast

One of the things that I have seen either make or break a video podcast is lighting...if I am going to watch something I want it to look good. I suppose we are all spoiled these days... I watched a lot of TV on an old black and white with a fair amount of static

So after a couple of returned purchases of video lighting gear I settled on a solution that I think works well in a confined space and does a fantastic job of providing even natural light.

The first thing I needed to figure out was where to put the lights without totally rearranging my office. Initially I was going to use Softboxes but they were so big and were difficult to setup and tear down and really no practical place to put the stands...
    8848.png

So I came across these very cool things that will allow me to mount the lights on my wall permanently. The fold up and down and move side to side...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Boom_Arm.html

I went with LED lights which I can either leave on the wall mounts or remove. They run on either a rechargeable battery or AC. They're not cheap but these were not bad considering the alternatives. I went with the ring lights because I saw some tests that were done comparing the standard rectangular LED lights to these...same brand actually. The results were that the ring light gave a more even spread of light across the subject and the reflections in the eyes were much more pleasing and natural.

http://www.fvlighting.com/118150010201.html

Now I just need to determine exactly where to mount them. I have three lights... Two that will be mounted on the wall and one that will be on a stand off to an angle behind me ... classic three point lighting style. I just hope my vision of how this will look is close to reality...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AlBurr; 01-04-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlBurr View Post
    So after a couple of returned purchases of video lighting gear I settled on a solution that I think works well in a confined space.

The first thing I needed to figure out was where to put the lights without totally rearranging my office. Initially I was going to use Softboxes but they were so big and were difficult to setup and tear down.
    8848.png
    I would recommend soft boxes actually or leds. The diffused light makes everyone look good. I have seen these lights used on movie sets and tv studios.

Quote Originally Posted by MovieBuff View Post
    I would recommend soft boxes actually or leds. The diffused light makes everyone look good. I have seen these lights used on movie sets and tv studios.
    I accidentally posted before finishing the post. As you can see I did end up with LEDs...

Quote Originally Posted by AlBurr View Post
    I accidentally posted before finishing the post. As you can see I did end up with LEDs...
    Very nice! Can't wait to see your tests or show(s).

Hey Al thanks for posting this. I know many people struggle with getting the lighting right. I think im going to hire someone to come in and redo our lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    Hey Al thanks for posting this. I know many people struggle with getting the lighting right. I think im going to hire someone to come in and redo our lighting.
    No need. Your lighting is excellent.

Thanks Al,
    It's great that you post stuff like this because I now know your taste actually mimics that of my own. You seem to be several steps ahead of me so I appreciate the R&D.

Personally I just went to home depot and got some shop lights. I put some parchment paper over them and its perfect

Podnutter I agree and in fact I looked at doing exactly that with LED shop lights...but in the end my practical brain lost.

instead of replacing lighting, if you have any, you might try adding filters. For warm tones use filters on your lighting fixtures at 3300 degrees Kelvin. For more evenly matched colors go with filters at 5500 degrees Kelvin, which simulates the sun's color spectrum at 12:00 noon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast