International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recording Your Shows

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    I'd forgotten about recording with XSplit. That may meet my needs. If not, I'll need to get Amnon or Tom to show me Vidblaster or Joe de Max to show me Wirecast. I'm WAY behind!!
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

IAIB Broadcaster
    I owe you about a thousand favors so far, so anytime you want, I'm ready to help!

recording

Quote Originally Posted by mcphillips View Post
    I'd forgotten about recording with XSplit. That may meet my needs. If not, I'll need to get Amnon or Tom to show me Vidblaster or Joe de Max to show me Wirecast. I'm WAY behind!!
    Wirecast is simple, once you find the best mix..
    .wmv or flash.........

I used .wmv first, but now i'm doing flash..
    for some reasons on one PC .wmv works perfect and on the other, i have to use flash (.mp4) in order to get a good clean recording

Quote Originally Posted by sidimustafa View Post
    Wirecast is simple, once you find the best mix..
    .wmv or flash.........

I used .wmv first, but now i'm doing flash..
    for some reasons on one PC .wmv works perfect and on the other, i have to use flash (.mp4) in order to get a good clean recording
    Flash refers to a number of codecs.
    H.264 .mp4 (there are other .mp4 codecs) is more efficient (better quality relative to the bit rate) than WMV. Microsoft has been moving towards H.264 .mp4. Microsoft Expression Encoder paid version encodes to it (free version only WMV). Windows Media Player 12 supports its playback natively. Microsoft Silverlight supports H.264 .mp4 (which is one reason why I wouldn't refer to the codec as "Flash") as well as Apple and it's part of the HTML5 spec (along with WebM).

The advantage that WMV has over H.264 .mp4 is that generally WMV is easier to decode so older or weaker systems may handle it better. One can use H.264 .mp4 Baseline rather than Main Profile for easier decoding though. You'll find Baseline more widely supported on smartphones and tablets or more recent ones can handle Main Profile and, in some cases, even High Profile.

The encoder can have an impact on H.264 .mp4 encoding quality though. Whereas WMV encoding is based on Microsoft SDK for third party products that support it, H.264 encoders come from a variety of developers. MainConcept is probably the most common used by Adobe as well as Wirecast (and VidBlaster?) but these days it seems x264 has taken the lead in quality testing. One of the worst seems to be Apple's H.264.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12