International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Questions

Newbie Questions

Hi everyone.

I'm just beginning to research what's involved in creating an internet broadcast. I know I will produce at least a podcast, but am also considering vodcast.

I have taken college courses in journalism (editing, newspaper & magazine articles). My software Adobe Audition, Premiere, and After Effects. I also have a 1080p Logitech webcam on my desktop, and an iPhone 5s (for outdoor recordings). I have also started to purchase music through PremiumBeat.

Question 1:
    I want to begin with podcasting where I interview others. I can record the audio for something like that easily enough through Skype, but I would like to be able to apply sound effects during the conversation to dramatacise any emotional impact to enhance the conversation. If I have a collection of audio sound effects (and I do), is there a control panel or resource that would allow me to push a button during the conversation to play/record the effect? I could do this the long way by inserting the effect into the conversation using Audition, but I'd rather push a button during the conversation than edit the sound in to the track.

Question 2:
    When I've played around with vodcasts in the past, people have told me that I have a good voice and that I seem to really enjoy it... but I have no confidence with respect to my voice. What resources may be available to me that will help me learn to speak like a radio host (or even a broadcast news journalist for that matter)?

Queston 3:
    What do I need to know about Microphones or recording equipment. I've considered the Zoom h4n, but am not certain if that's a good starting point.

Question 4:
    And Subscriptions. What do I need to know about setting up pod/vod-casts by subscription?

Thanks,
    Buck

Hi Buck

Welcome to the forum. Im sure there will be many great answers to these questions.

Before I answer these questions I need to know what your setup is. Are you using a mixer? if so what mixer do you have. Also do you have a microphone? What mic are you using

best,
    Andrew

Hi Andrew.

Right now it's just a simple $8 Panasonic computer headset... nothing suitable for broadcasting based on my (backwash/pop) experience thus far. I really don't know where to start with mics, but will definitely need something along the lines of a dead-kitten because of the background noise in my apartment.

No mixer and only 1 telephone line. Can a mixer work with Google Voice?

I would suggest you get the ATR-2100 USB/XLR Microphone. It sounds great and give you the ability to grow with the microphone since it does both USB and XLR connections

A mixer can work is Google Voice. All you need to do is connect it via the computer to the mixer. If you incorporate a mixer you can also have an external sound board (either a computer or tablet)
    As far a mixer goes try looking into the Behringer 1204

Quote Originally Posted by buck415 View Post
    Question 1:
    I want to begin with podcasting where I interview others. I can record the audio for something like that easily enough through Skype, but I would like to be able to apply sound effects during the conversation to dramatacise any emotional impact to enhance the conversation. If I have a collection of audio sound effects (and I do), is there a control panel or resource that would allow me to push a button during the conversation to play/record the effect? I could do this the long way by inserting the effect into the conversation using Audition, but I'd rather push a button during the conversation than edit the sound in to the track.
    I have found soundboard, If you have a Mac the best application for that. Have an iPad version for remote control.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

Lots of great replies so far! Here is my 2 cents...

I am a newer podcaster, and did a bit of research into different setups before settling on mine.

I run Skype on a laptop through my mixer (via Mix-Minus), and use an app called Soundboard on my iPad that I run on a different channel. That way, even the person on Skype will be able to hear the efx, etc. Soundbard is a great app, very responsive, and with the big buttons, very easy to see and hit the right button.
    |
    When not running Skype on my laptop, I have a secondary soundboard on there that I use - it is called SoundByte by Black Cat Systems... link is HERE (don't let the ugly website fool you - it works great!)
    |
    I like Sound Byte for phone calls and single use things like that as adding sounds is an easy drag and drop. I also use the laptop for youtube or anything else on the internet that I want to pipe through the mixer.
    |
    If you don't have a computer, you can certainly run Skype on your smart phone and then a soundbard app on your tablet and get the same effect.
    |
    I think that the best thing for your voice is to just be yourself. If you "try to sound like a radio host", it may end up doing more harm than good. If your content and passion are there, I think that will carry you. One thing I always have to work on is slowing down. Plus, when I write my copy (I report on news stories), I make sure to break up paragraphs and make thing clear and easy for me to understand so I don't trip over myself and get lost in lengthy paragraphs.
    |

(Sorry about the pipes between paragraphs, but the forum software doesn't seem to skip lines between paragraphs when I type them up like that, and seeing a long run-on paragraph makes it harder to read imho)

~Bill
    Media Fiasco Podcast
    News and Pop Culture. Irreverent. Inappropriate.
    www.mediafiasco.com

I would keep it simple. Go with the AT-2100 USB and don't bother with a mixer.

James but how would he mix everything in if he doesn't have a mixer? I think its needed for what he wants to do

Another easy app to use is Bossjock for iOS. It's works on an iPad, iPod, or an iPhone. Plus, if you use another app, Audiobus in conjunction, you can record your interview with two mics and the Bossjock soundboard on the fly, when you can get an additional mixer app called Auria. Auria will enable you to connect several mics to an approved audio interface, from there you connect to your iPad or iPod 4th or 5th Gen and record your interview into the Auria mixer app, along with using it's channel strip. Again connecting all with Audiobus.

Here's "The Man" Ray Ortega using an ATR2100 mic into the Bossjock iOS app:

Last edited by docizzen; 12-11-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buck415 View Post
    Hi everyone.

Question 2:
    When I've played around with vodcasts in the past, people have told me that I have a good voice and that I seem to really enjoy it... but I have no confidence with respect to my voice. What resources may be available to me that will help me learn to speak like a radio host (or even a broadcast news journalist for that matter)?
    As MediaFiasco pointed out, be yourself. Wolfman Jack, Barry White, and even the aptly named Puker voice, are all schticks people try and emulate. You can tell they aren't true radio people in that they try to play up to one of many styles of old school voices. If you just happen to have a deep voice, great... if not, no problem. Radio of today is about being real.

I would work more on delivery, how you interview and speak, and leave the "voice" to the pretenders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast