International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Difference between a Radio show and a Podcast

Question Difference between a Radio show and a Podcast

I heard someone the other day say that there is a difference in style when doing a podcast vs. doing a radio show. I really don't understand what he means by that. Anyone here ever heard of this? What are the big differences between the two.
    you best get steppin

IT comes down to format. I have noticed that podcasts are a lot faster paced then radio.

A Radio show is live. If you say something at 5:15 and someone starts at 5:16 they missed it. Podcasting is a time shifted conversation. We get in, make our point, get out. Radio has to fill 4 hours a shift (for example) which is a problem when you have 40 minutes of material. This is why many sports shows have one topic. "Last night Dallas choked in the final quarter, here are my thoughts..." Then they take calls where people say "I agree they choked," or "You're an idiot!" This goes on for four hours. Then they have a twitter contest, and ask for likes on Facebook. The one thing that MADE radio is personalities (go back to Wolf Man Jack, and the 50's and read up). Now they have computers telling us "Two tickets to paradise - Eddie Money" before the computer plays another add for a car dealer screaming at me about their great savings. Podcasting is filled with personalities (or we hope so).
    Dave Jackson
    Personal Podcast Coach
    School of Podcasting

Hi Dave, that was a great response!

If you ask about podcast vs. radio "style," I would say it's not a gigantically meaningful question. The style of the content in a podcast can be anything you want it to be. The content style in radio is still pretty varied, but is limited by regulatory and commercial constraints.

the biggest difference between a " Radio Style" vs "Podcasting Style" is the speed of the show. I feel that many radio shows have a slower pace due to having a few hours to get the material out there. Most podcasters are doing an hour or two and need to fit everything in .

From what I've seen in most cases Radio hosts are much more geared towards antaganizing callers. Topics that intise callers are more frequent on radio shows as opossed to podcasts. Even on podcasts that take callers it's not the same kind of vibe as one that doesn't. So maybe the difference is whether you take calls.

I agree with you. Callers on Radio is totally different then Podcasts. Even on XM/Sirius you will notice a different type of caller.