International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: MDX4600 - Question or two about settings

MDX4600 - Question or two about settings

Well, I have read through some posts, and it seems that my original choice of the MDX4600 wasn't ideal... I bought it based on Cliff Ravenscraft's recommendation, and it seems to work okay for me...

My thing is just trying to get things dialed in correctly.

I guess the first thing to ask you to do would be to listen to my latest episode (just fast forward into a speaking portion after about a one minute intro). www.mediafiasco.com (may be NSFW)

Does that sound okay, or do I need to make some adjustments? It sounds like it has some pretty fat compression, and I like that. People have told me that it sounds good on their headphones and in their cars, but I want to be sure I am delivering the best sound possible. I had never deal with compressors before, so I started with Cliff's settings:

Then I decided to screw with things, and followed the instructions I found HERE

And came up with these settings:

I followed all of those instructions and the settings changed, and of course I don't have a new recording to post here, but it sounds a little richer, but at the same time pretty close.

I know that settings depend on the voice, so I guess I just need to know if the logic behind the instructions is sound, or did I sound okay enough before that I shouldn't mess with a semi-decent sound?

Thanks!

~Bill
    Media Fiasco Podcast
    News and Pop Culture. Irreverent. Inappropriate.
    www.mediafiasco.com

I think with your voice it sounds great! Yes, it's a tad boomy but reminiscent of retro radio which I personally like. By the way, that last close-up photo is excellent.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 12-10-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ortego View Post
    I think with your voice it sounds great! Yes, it's a tad boomy but reminiscent of retro radio which I personally like. By the way, that last close-up photo is excellent.
    Thanks! I think a majority of the extra boom comes through my post in Audition (Multiband Compressor). I wish I knew a little more about compression, so I could figure out how to take it down a notch - It seems like I could cut the boost or the compression ratio for the bass, or change the frequency set point? I don't know that I want to change it or anything at this point, but would at least like to know how to make those adjustments should I want to in the future.
    Oh, and that last pic was just with my iPhone 5s... thanks!
    Last edited by MediaFiasco; 12-10-2013 at 11:39 AM.

~Bill
    Media Fiasco Podcast
    www.mediafiasco.com

Maybe this could help. Mark gets into the compression section and he talks about the settings that I think are quite relevant for practically any compressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR9vsfNdyTo
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 12-10-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks - I just watched it. It was a little dbx specific, but it gives me some things to play with.

I think the first thing I am going to adjust is the compression I am applying in post with audition. I may try cutting the gain in the bass there and see what that does. So many settings to mess with, so little time...

~Bill
    Media Fiasco Podcast
    www.mediafiasco.com