International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac pro

Mac pro 6 Thunderbolt ports

The new MAC PRO should be interesting to use with Wirecast 5.

Theoretically, you could buy 6 BlackMagic MiniRecorders and use 6 HD cameras with Wirecast 5 on the new MACPRO (6 thunderbolt ports)?
    Last edited by MovieBuff; 04-24-2014 at 08:04 PM.

As a Mac fanatic for more than 29-years (yes I'm old) I had been looking forward to the new Mac Pro for quite sometime. Even so, it's a coin-flipping contest for me. I'm actually considering holding off to see what the new Mac Mini may offer when fully configured. It's possible that I could have two of those vs. one of that.

As super cool as the new MacPro will be I'm not sure I would leverage all of what it's intended to be or do. Anyway, if you get one, rests assure that I will be jealous!

The mac pro is out of reach for most internet broadcasters. If you are going to spending that sort of money on a computer just for as a wirecast machine I would suggest looking a Tricaster.

Morning Andrew,
    I agree with your post regarding the new Mac Pro. It's certainly a beautiful device and even though I tend to push the envelope on what's reasonable, I most certainly will not be buying this unit.

I really like the option to rack mount the Mac Mini(s) in order to keep things simple and tidy. In fact, I had my finger on the mouse button just a few minutes ago but I realize that a refresh is way overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzarian View Post
    The mac pro is out of reach for most internet broadcasters. If you are going to spending that sort of money on a computer just for as a wirecast machine I would suggest looking a Tricaster.
    It depends. Not only do I broadcast with my Mac Pro, but do my post production, screencasts, video editing...before and after the broadcast. The Tricaster is just for broadcasting. The Mac Pro can fill many shoes and has more uses. So in some ways it might be a cheaper option.
    Last edited by Linuxcooldude; 12-09-2013 at 08:42 AM.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

Hello Linuxcooldude,
    I have a 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 fully loaded and its still running strong albeit not as fast after installing Mavericks.

Hello, I use the same exact Mac Pro, at least an 8 core. I've been getting a miscellaneous problems over the years, most likely due to upgrading the OS constantly since Leopard. This time I did a clean install by formatting the hard drive and then installing Mavericks, which all these issues went away.

Have not seen any slowdowns with Mavericks as far as I can tell.
    <a href=http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude target=_blank>http://www.justin.tv/linuxcooldude</a>

Actually, I'm a beta tester on the Mavericks program which is still ongoing, so my system is complicated. Also, my hard drives are likely slowing down due to age so perhaps it's not entirely an OS problem. Either way I want to move up to a Thunderbolt I/O and preferably with the newer A/C Wi-Fi card. Hopefully the next 'Mini' will likely contain both so I'm pretty much in a wait-state.

Just as well, since I already purchased myself a Christmas gift. Although I'm nothing like Andrew when it comes to his incredible studio!
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 12-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ortego View Post
    I'm actually considering holding off to see what the new Mac Mini may offer when fully configured. It's possible that I could have two of those vs. one of that.
    That's interesting. I wonder if there's a way to attach a camcorder per MacMini, and network all the camcorder shots to one computer operating Wirecast to do the switching (I wonder if there would be lag issues between shots).

I was considering this(Image below), but a MacBook Pro with an i7 is close to 3000$.

Source: http://stretchinternet.com/blog/2013.../#comment-9549

The total cost for all equipment in this photo (excluding cameras) is:

1. Macbook Pro 15″ with Retina Display – $2,800
    2. Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Recorder – $145 (x2)
    3. Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 – $200
    4. Thunderbolt and HDMI cables – about $200
    5. USB to Ethernet Adapter (since the Macbook Pro does not come with an Ethernet port) – $25
    Last edited by MovieBuff; 12-09-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Hi Movie Buff,
    Unless I was traveling a lot I wouldn’t even consider a new MacBook. The convergence of the iOS and OSX is occurring rapidly whereby an iPad may ultimately replace the MacBook’s. Of course for what we do, the viability of a conventional computer remains.

I was all set for the MacPro but I have high-hopes for the next Mac Mini at half the price when fully configured. Besides, I can't stand the Apple displays with the mirror like' finishes.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 12-09-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast