International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Windows Based Call Recorder for Skype

IAIB Broadcaster

Windows Based Call Recorder for Skype

Kicking off podcasting again, but it's been a while and I wanted to pick the brains of the IAIB crowd. I'm looking for an application that can do the following:

1) Record a Skype Conversation in the Windows Desktop version of Skype. (And hope MS doesn't change their mind again about the desktop API)
    2) Record the conversation in a lossless format (wav/aiff preferred).
    3) Record the participants as separate channels in the same track (Left channel for one speaker, right channel for other speaker, etc).

I've found and experimented with a ton of apps out there that claim to can record, but most of them seem to have limitations, haven't been supported in the past few years, or look like spyware/malware carriers. I'd prefer something that's freeware, but don't mind spending a few bucks if the app does everything I need.

Anyone have experience with a good app that will cover my 3 criteria above? What's everyone using to record?

Why not be very simple with it. Take the audio out of your computer into a mixer, which you really need to do to for a mix-minus, then use an external recorder connected to the mixer. No issues with API's or other programs! And you probably have one of those old things around the place called a Cassette recorder... If you are set on digital, an old laptop/desktop will do and straight into the sound program of your choice. Sometimes the simple solutions are the best.

IAIB Broadcaster
    Yeah, I thought about that, but at the moment don't own a mixer or an external recorder. Not that I'm adverse to buying equipment, but I'd rather go with a simple free/$20 app for now if possible and then get better equipment in the future.
    Last edited by MeatballCB; 12-02-2013 at 09:53 PM.

I tried Zoom.us as an option. If you subscribe to the service you can record the video in mp4 within the software.

another option would be to record the stereo mix in audacity.
    you best get steppin

I use 2 computers and Skype. One computer runs Skype and Audacity. I have a gaming headset with mic plugged into this computer. The input in Audacity is set to "Stereo Mix". This records the person on Skype, but doesn't record me.

The second computer is hooked to my mixer and studio mic and only runs Audacity. This records my side of the interview.

Once the interview is over, I export both recordings to .wav, transfer one to the other computer via a USB drive, and then mix them together.

Here's an article that goes into more detail. I've gotten to where I can hit "record" in both Audacity programs at the same time, so the recordings are in sync, and you don't even have to use the Time Shift tool in Audacity to line them up.

The great thing about this method is if the person you're interviewing also has Audacity, they can record their end, export it to a .wav and send it to you via Google Drive or Dropbox. Then you only need one computer yourself, and you get a clean recording of their end without any of the Skype distortions and problems.

I also like this method because I start out with 2 separate recordings, one of myself and one of the other person. In this way I can edit each separately and independently before combining them (e.g. Noise Reduction, Compression, etc.).
    Last edited by LexStarwalker; 03-30-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Total Recorder does exactly what you want.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I second this. It works great and records all Windows audio, so you don't have to worry about Microsoft breaking compatibility with Skype.

Just downloaded Total Recorder.
    Let's see if Total Recorder can perform up to the task.

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowlyAudio View Post
    Just downloaded Total Recorder.
    Let's see if Total Recorder can perform up to the task.
    Be sure to check the "telephony" option if you want the host and the caller to be recorded in different channels. The audio has to be set for stereo recording, too.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.