International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Easy as Turning on the Car Radio

Hybrid View

Easy as Turning on the Car Radio

I have always said the best thing that could happen to this medium is finding a way to distribute the shows in a way that seems natural to the audience. The person who finds a way to make listening to an internet broadcast as easy as turning on the car radio, or changing the channel on your tv, would be the one credited for breaking the internet broadcast revolution wide open.

It doesn't seem like we are that far off from having something like that with the likes of Google TV, Smart TV's and even if Apple enters the fold with an iTV (or whatever they would call it). Same with pure audio broadcasts as Pandora and iheartradio find their way into vehicles of all makes and models over the next few years.

It kind of makes you think, what a service like Pandora would be for the internet broadcasting world. A chance to let users listen to or watch new shows based on a like or dislike rating system. The "If you liked this show, then you may like this show" type of netflix and amazon way.

What do you think? What distribution system (present or future) has the most potential to finally push this through from internet savvy to mainstream?

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Smart phone and 4G could give Internet broadcasting the foothold that it needs to compete with terrestrial radio and terrestrial TV. The bad news is that if and when Internet broadcasting becomes mainstream, competition will go through the roof. Some of it will be very good. There are many out-of-work broadcasters who would love to have a financially successful Internet stream.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

I think we are 5 years away from there being any organized/simple way to find content (For the average consumer). It really is in the hands of the car manufactures to start implementing internet radio ready stereo systems.

As for the technology and it being implemented for music, we are right there. You grew up listening to your favorite radio stations but now live 300 miles away, not a problem Ford (and I believe Toyota) is already there: http://mashable.com/2012/01/11/iheartradio-for/

Working for Clear Channel for 11 years, the only thing I saw them do right was iheartradio. I mean I always said Clear Channel was one of the leaders when it came to online radio, but their leadership is 3-5 years behind most everybody else. Radio is (and was worse off then) in a very sorry state for what they could be doing online. Only 3 companies, by my count, have any internet sense and even they aren't truly leading the way. Everyone else is holding onto the past.

Hence, and I believe the innovation could come from this very group of people (if not now as membership to the IAIB grows) that sends us into the mainstream.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BradShoemaker View Post
    As for the technology and it being implemented for music, we are right there. You grew up listening to your favorite radio stations but now live 300 miles away, not a problem Ford (and I believe Toyota) is already there: http://mashable.com/2012/01/11/iheartradio-for/

Working for Clear Channel for 11 years, the only thing I saw them do right was iheartradio. I mean I always said Clear Channel was one of the leaders when it came to online radio, but their leadership is 3-5 years behind most everybody else. Radio is (and was worse off then) in a very sorry state for what they could be doing online. Only 3 companies, by my count, have any internet sense and even they aren't truly leading the way. Everyone else is holding onto the past.

Hence, and I believe the innovation could come from this very group of people (if not now as membership to the IAIB grows) that sends us into the mainstream.
    There is no doubt that the future of broadcasting is here and within 5 years every new car will be offering online access to streaming services that don't even exist yet. Radio is catching on, but still can't figure out how to really profit from streaming, so they’re attempting to hold on to their market share until it’s ripped always from their cold “dead” hands....I get it, but radio as we knew it will never exist again, which in a sense is sad, but that’s evolution.

The IAIB is poised to be a catalyst for change, bringing together the best and the brightest in this emerging field, I’m excited about the official launch in June and I believe we will make great strides in a very short period of time.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren