International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interviewing Technique for podcasters

Lightbulb Interviewing Technique for podcasters

I was visiting one of the google groups and someone brought up that many podcasters interject during an interview with personal stories. I for one am a fan of the host making it more of a discussion rather then jut a Q & A with the guest. the person said she gets annoyed at this.

I wanted to know what you guys think is the right way of interviewing someone? I am trying to get better at my interview technique and any tips would help.

Do you do a Q&A with information about the guests personal life, Job, Project, or do you make it a convo?

Best
    James

Well, I guess interviewers have to be careful not to intimidate their guest. Good old common sense should tell you when you're starting to drift too far. As for technique overall, I think that interviewers need to look into the camera when their guest is off-site. There's nothing more distracting than when an interviewer is looking down or to the side.

I guess I would be one of those interviewers that the person doesn't like. I like to bring up personal stories and make it a two way conversation rather then a Question and Answer session. The people that I have looked up to in broadcasting have all had a very unorthodox style of interviewing guest.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    In my line of work, it comes down to relatability. It's all about being open and willing to interject my life experiences, as well as my expertise.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Personal stories are vital to building common ground with your guest and helping them feel at ease. Make it a conversation and not an inquisition!
    Follow My Take Radio on Twitter: @MyTakeRadio

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Become a fan on Facebook,Add us on Google+ and follow our boards on Pinterest

Hi Rich Big fan. I love your interview style. Maybe its becasue im a Fellow PR boy from Queens.
    you best get steppin

Well, I guess that I'll take the other position in this thread. I think that if you are hosting a show and your purpose is mainly to chat it up with your guest, then all of your statements seem fine. I also read the post in Google Groups and I agree with the woman who wrote it, with one caveat. If you are advertising your episode as an interview with so and so, then maybe an interview is what some of your viewers expect and an interview does not have to be an inquisition. There are many simple interview techniques that can be used to the effect that both you and your viewers learn some new things. Making up a list of bullet points you would like to ask isn't bad, but you need to use it for reference only, if at all. Remember, chances are many of your viewers tuned in to learn more about your guest, and not more about you. A good interview also requires some homework and some Google or Bing time. You need to learn as much background as possible and maybe even something about a new project, film, book or something else. This also let's your guest feel pretty good about things when they see that you took the time to research. Don't ask questions that can be answered Yes or no, ask questions that call for an answer, or even better, a story. Perhaps have some plan ahead of time of how you imagine the final interview to sound like, but be prepared to jetison the plan when things start off in a new interesting direction. When interviewing someone, don't you be afraid of silence. Too many of us feel awkward and immediately try to fill this silence, when sometimes it's better to let your guest feel this a bit and fill it. Don't just pursue questions that cover what your guest is famous for, be brave and head off in a different direction. Sometimes just asking a simple off the wall question like " tell me about a memorable time you had fishing when you were young". Your episode can be interesting as hell for you, your guest and your listeners and information can surface that is news to all of you.

One last tip if this will be an audio interview. Nod your head and other verbal signs that you are listening, but try to not interject a bunch of uh-huh type audible sounds. At the time is seems fine, but later when you listen, you'll probably be thinking about editing these out.
    Last edited by markinrussia; 11-26-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added last point

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmartz View Post
    Hi Rich Big fan. I love your interview style. Maybe its becasue im a Fellow PR boy from Queens.
    I appreciate the kind words Oscar! It is always a work in progress though but I am glad you are a fan.

My Take Radio broadcasts live every Thursday at 11pm est and can be heard on Blog Talk Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Kobren View Post
    In my line of work, it comes down to relatability. It's all about being open and willing to interject my life experiences, as well as my expertise.
    Spencer,
    I like the laid back style of your interviews and it is something I really enjoy seeing.

Andrew kills it too since he finds a common factor with his guests. It was that level of camaraderie and friendliness that made us connect.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster Spencer Kobren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTakeRadio View Post
    Spencer,
    I like the laid back style of your interviews and it is something I really enjoy seeing.
    Thanks Rich!
    Follow Me On Twitter: @spencerkobren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast