International Association of Internet Broadcasters - IAIB

News Updates
October 2, 2013:
Bambuser Adds Restrictions To Free Streaming

Thread: Newbie head is spinning! Can somebody cast me a line!

Newbie head is spinning! Can somebody cast me a line!

First off, long time lurker and the posts on here are what inspired me to start a podcast when the opportunity came up.

My goal is a two-person podcast. My co-host and I will be recording in the same room. From my research on here I knew the best bet was a two mic system so each channel could be edited.

I downloaded Audacity and messed around with the recording and editing using an Olympus portable recorder. The other day I saw a Presonus AudioBox 2x2 USB on Craigslist for $50. I bought it and it was like new, still in the box. Bought an Audio Technica dynamic mic kit from Amazon.

Today I plugged in the mic with the supplied XLR cable to the AudioBox then ran the USB to the computer (downloaded the drivers also). The Audiobox lights up but nothing I do seems to get audio to the computer. I know the mic is working because I can hear it in the headphones which are hooked to the Audiobox. Messing with gain doesn't help.

I'm using Windows 7 and it recognizes the Audiobox as the recording input. I can plug the mic directly into the computer USB and it works fine.

I'm confused? Do I have a defection USB interface or am I doing something wrong? Does the USB cable not provide audio output to the computer? Is there a better way I could do this?

I've got to have this figured out by Thursday and I'm losing my mind here!

First off, welcome. I'm a newbie too.

Reboot your computer. Connect your AudioBox USB to the computer.
    Open Audacity
    Audacity > Edit > Preferences > Devices > Recording > Device. Make sure that setting is pointing to your USB device. If that USB port doesn't work, close Audacity. Connect to another USB port and re-open Audacity. Go to> Edit > Preferences > Devices > Recording > Device. Make sure that setting is pointing to your USB device.

Try that for now.

Thanks Movie Buff, I've done the reboot thing. Audacity is recognizing the AudioBox as the input. It just seems as though no sound is getting through the AudioBox. Maybe I need to try another USB cable even though the box is lighting up. Oh yeah, I tried a different mic on it and that didn't work either.

Have you by any chance installed the device drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Callahan View Post
    Have you by any chance installed the device drivers?
    Yes I did download the drivers. The computer and Audacity all seem to "see" and recognize the AudioBox.

I guess I will have to try calling them tomorrow. Anybody know of any easier way to accomplish this? Maybe an external USB sound card with two mic inputs?

Am I over thinking this by wanting two separate mics? How do other folks doing a two person podcast on the cheap do it?

Quote Originally Posted by oregonk5 View Post
    Thanks Movie Buff, I've done the reboot thing. Audacity is recognizing the AudioBox as the input. It just seems as though no sound is getting through the AudioBox. Maybe I need to try another USB cable even though the box is lighting up. Oh yeah, I tried a different mic on it and that didn't work either.
    I am not sure if this is helpful or not. http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/19718.page
    2nd link
    http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewto...p?f=16&t=53752

So after much farting around (only got terminal hold on Presonus tech support). I have mic input now in Audacity...problem is the recording is very faint, even with sound turned up all the way. If I turn mic gain way up it's much louder but then a lot of background hum. I checked and all the drivers are up to date. Any ideas?