22 34.92%
  • Wirecast

39 61.90%
  • Other

2 3.17%

Thread: Vidblaster Vs Wirecast

Hybrid View

Vidblaster Vs Wirecast

Which one do you use and why? Both are amazing programs for broadcasting and have their pros and cons?

Over the past few months I have been experiencing an issue with Ustream. We are no longer able to see the total number of viewers. Anyone else experience this problem

Follow Us on Twitter: @gfqnetwork
    Check out the GFQ Network : Guysfromqueens.com

Web / Roku Developer RadarGaming's Avatar
    For my podcast I enjoy changing th lower thirds based on who is on camara. With Wirecast this is very easy but with Vidblaster it can be a pain. Now Andrew you keep the 1 lower third up the whole show so for you. Having that ability in Wirecast might not matter.

that's one (of the many) things that is lacking in vidblaster. I would love to assign a lower thirds to a specific Camera Module. I know this is possible with using the Video effects module but still not what i want.

IAIB Pro Broadcaster
    It's gotta be Wirecast.

Wirecast has it's own written from the ground up encoder
    Wirecast can stream to multiple locations and record multiple formats to disk
    Wirecast is 1000x better at any kind of compositing (be it lower thirds or full on virtual sets)
    It has Applescript support on the Mac version(great for controlling it in hardware)
    Wirecast can use more than one audio source.
    It also has more than 2 transitions!

I could go on for much longer...

Joe Loves Vidblaster

Moderator / IAIB Pro Broadcaster mcphillips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joedemax View Post
    I could go on for much longer...
    Please do.
    Please direct all questions for me to the forum so that all can benefit.

IAIB Broadcaster
    I can't give an impartial and fair comparison as I only used Wirecast for a short period of time several years ago and have used VidBlaster regularly since version 0.42 (early 2009). In the interest of full disclosure, I became a VidBlaster reseller later that same year and am a mod on the VidBlaster support forum. So you may want to independently verify my review.

I like VidBlaster because its easy to use, yet powerful, too.

Features I really like are...

Virtual camera ("virtual video device")- VidBlaster can be used as a camera source in many other programs including older version of Skype.
    It's modular. Only use the modules you need. Only buy the version of VidBlaster based on the number of modules you need (7, 15, 25 or 50).
    Instant Replay - I do a lot of sports broadcasting, mostly soccer. It's neat to show the audience a replay of a goal or some other event on the field. You can do a replay for each camera.
    Player/Playlist - You can set up a playlist of video or audio-only files and play them when ever. I generally set up four playlists for the commercials that I run: one for pre-game, one for halftime and one for post-game (no timeouts in soccer!). Extra playlist for stoppage due to injuries, weather or other delays.
    Chroma-key - Easy to use.
    Picture-in-Picture - You actually do multiple PIPs, resize them and move them around the screen.

These are the features that I use the most. Not all of them are unique to VidBlaster. I think Wirecast will do many of these things, too.

The VidBlaster API was just opened up this week in the free Trial edition, so it will be interesting to see what folk do with it. So far there's been an app to control functions in VidBlaster from your smartphone. Also a midi-mapping utility to control VidBlaster from any number of midi-devices. I'm looking at a Berhinger BCF2000 as a possible controller candidate.